Pinpointer & Makro Racer Compatibility

Doubtful whether it is the Pro-find, as the coil circuit should disconnected when not in use.  Are you carrying a mobile phone on your person by any chance, just going down the route of natural deduction to discount any other possibilities.

4 hours ago, dgatleyDP said:

Steve has indicated there's an issue with the GARRETT "carrot" pinpointed and the 7000, even when the unit is off.

Has anyone tried dropping the carrot into an RFI bag (this is a radio frequency shielded bag)?

Having a good pinpointer to utilize with the GPX 7000 seems like a must since this detector is a bit tough to pinpoint a target with.  Sure wish the new coil was a 5" sized one (for better pinpointing of your targets), and probably make the whole rig much lighter too. ?

Nope, that was other people having issues. My Garrett AT Propointer stays in my rucksack on my back and I have no problem picking it up. Other people have reported the opposite.

I do not ever use it with the GPZ when detecting in Nevada but when digging lots of deep nails in California it comes in handy now and then. It gets far more use in town coin and jewelry detecting. I prefer the Garrett for the side button single handed operation as opposed to the Nokta and Makro units, which require two hands to turn on and off.

Back to original question, at 56 kHz there should be very few issues with the Gold Racer and any brand pinpointer.

There are 2 interference mechanisms that people are mixing in to the discussion. One is operational interference, where the active signal created by the PP couples into the main detector. Same issue people have when trying to run detectors in close proximity. It doesn't matter what the nominal frequencies are. A 12kHz PP can interfere with a 56kHz Racer. Harmonics can couple directly in and intermods can get generated that fall in-band. But because of variations in both the PP and the detector operating frequencies, along with the narrow bandwidth of the detector's baseband (typically 10-20 Hz), it will happen with some people but not others. Most of the time, the odds are in your favor.

The second problem is that of inductive ringing, whereby bringing a closed coil of wire close to a detector coil will cause the detector to couple with the coil. This isn't so noticeable in a VLF detector, but in a PI detector it causes the flyback to ring. Even when a pinpointer is turned off the coil usually has a cap across it, so it can still ring (even more so, because it's resonated). The Minelab PP disconnects (opens) the coil at turn-off so it won't do this.

• Like 4

I just tested my Bullseye II and as I said it does not effect the MXT AP unless I press the button within a foot from the coil,

But it will see a 1 grain piece of lead or 0.06 grams at about 1/4 of an inch when I placed it on some thing that has a GB reading of about 86 on the MXT, although the newer shape PP's are nicer to use nothing except the Falcon MD-20 can match it on Tiny targets, I think that it is such a shame that the BE II never got put in to the TRX housing, I don't like all the models with pre set levels because I can fine tune the BE II for other tasks, it is Grossly lacking In Style and just plain Butt Ugly, but I love how it sniffs out those tiny bits.

john 

My TRX only interferes with my Golden Sabre II.  Course both are 12kHz so its to be expected.  

It works fine with all my others.

HH
Mike

my garret carrot interferes with the mx sport. however the carrot just died so I might be sending it back. only when on that is.

• The title was changed to Pinpointer & Makro Racer Compatibility