Air & In Ground Testing Of The MX Sport

All know I've been running some air test on my MX Sport. Like I said I'd did get out in the country today for more test in sandy soil.

The first thing I done was put 3 pennies at 4.6. And 8 inches in the ground. I made sure all lay flat at the bottom of the hole before filling it in.Tom wanted me to run the sensitivity at 9. I ground balance and lock it at 63. I was in the coin and jewelry program with the tone at 4.

The coin and jewelry program was like it's set as it comes from the factory. I was going to start my testing but the cursor as I would swing the coil was jumping all over the place. The detector had the same trouble as before when you run the sen. up to 9. The only way I could run it like that was to put discrimination just under where nickel comes in. This didn't make it a lot better but it did help cut down on the noise .

Now I hit the first coin at 4 inches and got nothing. The 6 and 8 nothing. The pennies are 2016 and I had one of them left. I drop it on the ground and got a good signal at 2 inches. Then at 3 inches  would get a hit one way but not the other. Beyond that nothing.

Now I started my air test. I put the detector on the ground with a board marked in inches .

The first was that same penny and i could detect it at 7 1/2 but at the end it would read something else but still showed a coin. I had a friend keeping a eye on the meter of the MXS. Next was a nickel and I got it at 9 1//2 but as I got to the high side he said it showed a penny at times but still a coin The dime came in at 7 but it too showed a penny at times. My friend said maybe because it a clad dime  that's just it it's not clad but a silver one. The quarter came in at 11 it's silver and the clad half at 12 1/2. Lots of time you would get Misc if it didn't show a coin ID.

I just put the pennies in the ground because some were old coin and I just wanted to make sure they didn't get damage

I've hunted with my Eagle 2 in the same type ground without trouble like this .I've also hunted in the black soil and find all kinds of coins at a school near my home.

This is and will be my last of any kind of test run on a MX Sport. You can see I'm getting less than half of depth on the air test.of a penny.

Please White's I'll be glad to send this detector back but I don't want the same back. I've been down this road before without any luck in doing that. I'm really not sure if I want any but I know it's your call.

I really think I had trouble before it was ever sent in the first time but don't know. Just maybe I got a bad detector out of the box the first time and another will be what i wanted it to be.

Well Tom I hope you read what i posted here and get back with me.

Thanks.

Chuck

PS This test was done in the center of a field so not to have any kind of electrical power are Power lines around.. 

What will be told to you when nugget hunting is in some ground you got to back off on your sensitivity. You may loose some depth  but your detector will run smoother Oh it not going detect as deep but what is there you can hear it.

I had told myself no more testing but I'll try one thing tomorrow. I feel if you push your signal too hot going in the ground it will reflect back at you. I know if I turn down the sen from 9 to 4 are 5 the detector settles down and just maybe still get fair depth by doing this. I know my old Eagle 2 runs so smooth with the sen set at 4 than if I push it higher. Yet i'm getting coins at 4 to 6 inches without trouble in the same soil I've been testing the MXS .

If it can't detect a penny at 4 inches then it's got to be the detector..

Till then.

Chuck 

The soil I was running the test in covers most of south Texas  I been detecting  in the same ground with my Eagle 2 way back to 1991 without trouble

I went to the school yard today but some kids was there playing ball but will try tomorrow. This is black land soil I wanted to try next

Chuck.

Well I went and done the testing in the school yard.

First off I put a single penny down 4 inches. I had the sensitivity set at 9 and it detected the coin great. I then put a penny down 6 inches. I done the same as before with the sen 4 & 9. At first everything looked and sounded okay but that was over before it got started good. One time it may read a penny then it would show Misc.It never would lock on a penny with one number. It  may stay in the penny range but go high to the low side of it That's if it didn't hit on the Misc again..

I check another spot and put another penny down 6 inches again. First all was well but then I get the penny one way but not a tone the other way. This may happen 3 are 4 times with a tone only one way but then both ways. It done the same with 4 are 9 on the sen.

I don't know if you have this kind of trouble but with the coil out in front I get readings. The coil is about 20 inches of the ground but the detector will  show a penny then Misc are foil.. It's not a tone but a pop when this happens.

I came home and I check something out in my front yard. All power comes in the back of my home. So no worry there. I put a quarter on top of the ground and started my test. Oh it detected it good with the sen at 4 then 9. The problem was it would not ID the coin as a quarter but showed a dime. I had the tones set at 4 but i then change it to 01. Then every time I went over the coin the ID said it's a quarter.After a while it went to a dime then a quarter again.

I found out if I go over the quarter at 2 inches I'd get a tone going into the coin and another going away. What I'm saying you get two hits on the coin with  one swing.. You get the same on the back swing.

Over the years I've had to send 2 different detectors in for repairs to White's. After the third time they would sent me a new detector and that was the fix. I think it's put on a test stand and if it looks good it goes back out again. I may be wrong but I don't think it's tested in real time.

I paid shipping to get this detector and I paid to ship it back for the firmware update. Now if I send it in again I'm not sure if I want it back I got a shipping label from UPS from White's but my detector was already on the way.

The ground balance was 42 at the school with 4 tones and the GB at home was 44.

Chuck

I'm sitting here waiting in the hopes that Tom will say send it back. Now if that don't happen I'll send it back tomorrow on my own. I'll box up everything I received when it came new from White's. If the MX Sport can't equal my old Eagle 2. Then why would I want it back.

Oh what I want and what I get may be two different things.

Chuck

49 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

I'm sitting here waiting in the hopes that Tom will say send it back. Now if that don't happen I'll send it back tomorrow on my own. I'll box up everything I received when it came new from White's. If the MX Sport can't equal my old Eagle 2. Then why would I want it back.

Oh what I want and what I get may be two different things.

Chuck

Chuck,

That ground is still pretty hot - over the weekend I was using the MX Sport and my ground is 84. Your ground is over halfway to salt (0).

If it were me I'd send it back. What you're experiencing is not normal. Could be the coil, though I'm not a repair guy so I'm just spitballing here. Call us up and we'll pay shipping. Sorry you're having to deal with this - most people are really happy with the machine (especially the updated firmware) and for the past 3 weeks we've been getting mostly one type of feedback on the MXS - pictures of finds.

Tom

P.S. If you PM me or email me that is a faster way to get a response. On the weekends I do stuff outdoors and have a "no computers" rule, and when I'm at the office I'm doing so many different things it's hard for me to browse forums. But a PM or email gets immediate attention since it goes directly to my inbox. I try to do what I can to help people out but there's only so much Tom to go around.

• Like 2

Just to keep everyone on the same page in the prospecting world it is convention that the higher the ground balance setting required, the hotter the ground. It appears you may look at it the other way around Tom, which could lead to some confusion. The reality is a ground balance setting does not indicate the amount of mineralization anyway, just the type of mineralization. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Just to keep everyone on the same page in the prospecting world it is convention that the higher the ground balance setting required, the hotter the ground. It appears you may look at it the other way around Tom, which could lead to some confusion. The reality is a ground balance setting does not indicate the amount of mineralization anyway, just the type of mineralization. 

It's a little confusing as the numbers should have a minus (-) in front of them to relate to VDI numbers. So my ground at 84 is actually -84 on VDI, with 40 equalling -40 on vdi. So Chuck's ground is 40 points higher than mine, getting into the iron range. Sorry for the confusion.

The way prospectors look at it more magnetite means hotter ground and so the way we look at things your GB setting would indicate hotter ground than Chucks. I would personally be expecting more depth in his ground, not less. But then I tend to think he has a bad coil (just a guess) making it all kind of moot.

• Like 1