Coin Hunters, What Do You Dig With?

I broke my digging tool, so I'm looking for ideas on what to replace it with. I know for prospecting you all use a pick. as do I, but that won't do for turf! this is what I've been using. works great turf.

trowel.jpg

gambler 

I have a digging tool like the ad you see in Lost Treasure. The blade is off set. What I done was get a bike handle bar grip that has a big rubber ring so my hand wouldn't slip off It work good just like it came but that's me.

Like everything else it's gone up in price. It will cost you 62 plus 9.95 to ship.Call 800-423-0029 ext.2 will get you one.

Chuck

Mine is pretty much lik the one in the picture, one side is serrated and it has a blue molded handle made by some French company I think. It's really solid and cuts a nice plug... pops shallow stuff ok too.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm sure there are better things but I had generally used one of those super cheap fairly long hunting knives.  If it breaks then no worries.

Not sure what I will go to now as I have detectors that will potentially go much deeper, but I imagine the coins are only so deep anyway for the most part.   I think some kind of a probe would also be handy even if it's just a thin Phillips screwdriver.  

Steve mentioned sometimes he only goes for the shallow targets so you wouldn't need much more than maybe a flat blade screw driver.  But in that scenario a pin pointer would come in real handy as well.  Back in the day I don't recall ever hearing of them (Pinpointers) but seems like it's become almost a necessity now.  I am sure I'll be getting one as well as I can see it would make the job easier, quicker and cleaner. 

Terry   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1515Art said:

Mine is pretty much lik the one in the picture, one side is serrated and it has a blue molded handle made by some French company I think. It's really solid and cuts a nice plug... pops shallow stuff ok too.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

that looks like mine but with a better handle.

3 minutes ago, 1515Art said:

Seems solid and fairly nonslip... Yours is prettier and the wood handle has a nice finish.

yah but its broken twice, and even gorilla glue wont fix it now. I think I might get one like yours. thanks for the replys gentlemen.