Coin Hunters, What Do You Dig With?

Terry

I've got coins that I found from the early 1800 and most were not over 4 inches in the ground. One time I got a hit on a penny at 9 1/2  in a school yard. The guy with me his detector couldn't detect it. I started digging and around that depth the detector said I found that penny. It wasn't even a wheat penny but a fairly new one. It was at the bottom of a slope and maybe the dirt wash down on it to put the coin deeper.

Finding money is great but finding old coins is better than great.For the 45 years I've been detecting I have yet to find a gold coin.but lots of silver.

Chuck

2 hours ago, auminesweeper said:

D11 Cat,  for the Specie's,    After that I get serious,  :laugh::biggrin:

I told ya that little coil was sensitive :rolleyes:

D11 specie.jpg

It this what you use as a pinpointer?

1194.jpg

Looks like you have a sense of humor John.  That's a good thing, helps keep us sane or close to it anyway.  That's some drilling rig, it don't look all the portable though.  

• Like 2

Wow what a small world! I'm pretty sure that rig photo was taken in the hills just south of Wamsutter, WY where I lived and worked for a year on it's big brothers (Nabors 101&102) as a directional driller and I've "driven" it. It's even bigger than it looks - these rigs "walk", we drilled 20+ well pads with them. The ironic thing is they really are pinpointers, we could generally get within 5-10ft accurate wellbore placement at 18,000ft depth.

I use a Lesche too.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jasong said:

Wow what a small world! I'm pretty sure that rig photo was taken in the hills just south of Wamsutter, WY where I lived and worked for a year on it's big brothers (Nabors 101&102) as a directional driller and I've "driven" it. It's even bigger than it looks - these rigs "walk", we drilled 20+ well pads with them. The ironic thing is they really are pinpointers, we could generally get within 5-10ft accurate wellbore placement at 18,000ft depth.

I use a Lesche too.

Yeah, I see them commonly too when I am at work on the northslope. Some of them are actually extremely "portable ". It like watching a house driving down the road with some of the small ones.

Anyways, to get back to the topic. I have a minelab digging tool that is similar to a lesche, a plastic trowel when needed, and a little folding Gerber hand shovel for when i am in a "sandbox" , like in a tot lot, or in an area that I can dig without doing any damage. I have been working on learning how to use a screwdriver to pop coins though. Or, in my case, pull tabs.

Eklawok, I also am trying to teach myself how to pop coins with a screw driver. I usually give up and dig. 

• Like 1