X-Terra 705 ID Targets

rob baum

i've been looking all around for a target id chart for raw metals for my x-terra 705.  all i've been able to find is ones listing coins and when i try to look up what material the coins are to cross reference them, they all seem to be made primarily of copper.  if anyone have suggestions what these might be or another target id chart out there i would appreciate it. IMG_0573.JPG

It's very hard to come up with a true ID chart for either trash or raw metals Rob, with the XTerra's.

As a single piece like the one in your pic at 12, will come up with a different ID in an air test, then when in the ground at six inches, and then again a different ID if that piece of junk had turned and is showing it's non-ruptured side, numerically and tonaly.

Then if you have discriminated out segments, you can force the XTerra's processor to place the target into a different bin again, or make it jump segments away from a solid one segment hit.

Gold for instance is a constant changer on real in-ground ID, for both rings and nuggets. No true chart can be made there.

Only theoretical air test charts that are way off the map.

Coinage is much more stable as you say, as is the only metal we can safely call shots on, and even then we gotta get used to half edge to full on edge coins in-ground to make a true chart.

Your pic is far too low resolution for me to pick anything else out of it.

Must admit it looks a very interesting exercise,not exactly sure what you are trying to achieve with it though,as although it maybe be possible to get some indication on US coinage,but the vast variation on say UK silver hammered coins ie silver content wise would be very hard to get true figures.

Gut feeling tells me the reason you have never found the information that you are looking for as i dont think one could make a viable reliable data base,of course i could be wrong,but the time spent trying to get the info together would achieve little benefit to you detecting,of course this is my personal opinion.

TID readings on most detectors are not 100% accurate at the best of times,they do help that i dont deny,but i have always been a audio person rather than rely solely on meter reading which can be slightly skewed.To me having a decent set of headphones and listening to what the audio is telling me wins hands down every time,meters become very un-reliable the deeper you go and infact some items wont even show up on the meter,but audio will still give you a possible very low hint that a decent target is in the ground and those are the ones that you want to go for.

If you have 2 folks with exactly the same 705 machines set up the same,but one goes just by TID and the other by audio,you would be suprised what you may have missed just by going with the TID option.

• Like 2

Unless you are only hunting copper and real silver the ID is way too variable to trust, As Argyle Rick have said...the sound is almost always reliable for coins. However, as soon as the target gets turned sideways or too near other stuff everything changes. As for various types and pieces of pulltabs or aluminum...there is no way to discriminate them and get gold...I preferred the 4 or 5 tone id  for my ears...

fred

• Like 1

thanks for all the feedback.  I figured it would be hard to identify since even just waiving the items around gave me different id's. 

I'm not sure, there different types of metal nuggets I found at a lake that is low right now and usually cant metal detect.  I was hoping for a way to id them.  I'll have to do some research for that area to see if there's any natural material around or if the metal is from someone's boat engine just blew up.

Does the metal seem fairly light?  Looks to me like it could be cast aluminum like maybe from a boats outdrive.  Put a magnet to it to see if it's magnetic, if not, I would bet cast aluminum.  

• The title was changed to X-Terra 705 ID Targets