Quartz / Gold & Hydrofluoric Acid

wow.....amazing stuff....looking at the quartz and gold as you found it you would never imagine that it would have all that gold in it. Thanks for sharing those pictures..pretty cool, Steve, I am going to try that first....maybe WINK would expose some of the gold near the surface.

That's why I chose to hf this specimen. It did not look good on the outside, but the continuity tester told me it was all connected and the specific gravity test confirmed how much gold was in it. That was the topic of my article in ICMJ.

• Like 1

Now if you just want your nuggets to shine I've found that white vinegar will do it. I put them in and every couple days I'll turn them over. I just keep them in the vinegar until I'm happy with the way they look

Chuck.

• Like 1

Anyone using hydrofluoric acid in high concentration form please be extremely careful even if you know what you are doing. It's bad if comes in contact with your skin, bad if you breath the fumes, it will eat through glass containers. Any specimen that have been treated using hydrofluoric acid, the specimen need to be neutralized. Unless you know and fully understand all the risks don't consider using hydrofluoric acid for treating gold specimens. Again please use caution when using this stuff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1