Introduction To Physical Geology

I accidentally found the online course notes for a class in introductory geology. This is not the class itself but a set of Powerpoint slides that accompany the class, also available as pdf files. The presentation makes for a very well illustrated and simple overview of basic geologic processes along with some terrific animations. Well worth a look for those with an interest in geologic processes. The one that lots of you might find most interesting is on minerals at http://www.appstate.edu/~marshallst/GLY1101/lectures/5-Minerals.pdf The link below has the full set of lecture notes.

Course Description

Modern civilization and life in general are inherently tied to geology. This class is designed to give you an introduction to geology and geologic processes. By the end of this course, you will have an improved understanding of topics including the formation of the Earth, Earth's inner structure, movement of tectonic plates, the materials that make up our planet, the various landscapes on the surface, water resources, and the ways in which the planet has changed through time. In addition, you will become experienced in critical thinking. Yes, that’s right. I will ask you to think in this course! The first half or so of class will focus mainly on basic geologic principles, such as the Earth’s formation, plate tectonics, the rock cycle, major rock-forming minerals, and general stratigraphy. Later on in the course, we will discuss natural hazards and water resources and their impact on the landscape and society. Remember, this isn't rocket science; it's rock science!

http://www.appstate.edu/~marshallst/GLY1101/lectures.html

Scott T. Marshall
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR
111 Rankin Science South
Department of Geology
Appalachian State University
572 Rivers Street
Boone, NC 28608

• Like 8

Thanks Steve.

Hi Steve

Im a bit past the basic stuff in that course but I think that you should make a prospecting related geo reference area on your forum and any good articles, posts, videos or links could go in there and we could all help to build a good knowledge base of reference material to read or watch to expand ones knowledge of prospecting related geology.

Hi Dale,

So far I have been archiving geology related threads into the Research Forum at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/forum/15-research/

I am guessing you are thinking something different, like a live forum that people could contribute to directly? I am open to pretty much anything as long as it gets used.

Not a live forum I like how you control the content by only having 1 active forum and then you move the good relevant info into the appropriate reference area, I like how you have set yours up Steve as you do not have to wade waist deep through crap to find relevant info.

I just feel that geology is one of the most important parts of prospecting and it deserves its own reference section.

I'dd contribute some really good links.

• Like 3

A bit of eye candy for you 63g of small bits and a 55g crystalline bit from last weeks trip............used my knowledge of geology to find them pretty decent weeks pay.

20160503_114811.jpg

20160405_180128.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
On May 2, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Gold Hound said:

Not a live forum I like how you control the content by only having 1 active forum and then you move the good relevant info into the appropriate reference area, I like how you have set yours up Steve as you do not have to wade waist deep through crap to find relevant info.

I just feel that geology is one of the most important parts of prospecting and it deserves its own reference section.

I'dd contribute some really good links.

I create the Archive categories based on subjects that get enough threads to justify one. It is not a matter of my creating a category in hopes it will fill with relevant threads, but a matter of enough geology related threads being started to justify a category. So post away, and I promise the appropriate Archive category will appear.

Detector model specific archives are a good example. I toss everything into Other Metal Detectors until enough threads show up in a specific model, then they get moved to their own archive. A few more threads specific to geology and I will pull all exiting threads out of the Research archive and move them to a new Geology archive.

• Like 2