2.4 Ghz Wireless Headphones For Makro Gold Racer & Racer 2

Makro dealers are now taking pre-orders for the new 2.4 GHz wireless headphones and transmitter module for the Gold Racer and Racer 2. They will start shipping dealers in June.

MSRP: $119 

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE NEW 2.4 GHz HEADPHONE OPTION IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE RACER AND WILL ONLY WORK WITH THE GOLD RACER & RACER 2 MODELS.

This is the last picture that was available but the actual shipping units may vary in appearance.

makro-detector-optional-wireless-headphones.jpg

I love the wireless module on the ZED and CTX...it is so convenient and I have the option of which type of headphone to use according to the circumstance...I can even use Jonathan Porter's speakers and enhancer...

So, I wonder why others donot use a similar system.

fred

• Like 1

I agree, wireless is the way to go.  I use the Avantree Low Latency with my 5000 and GMT and it works great.  I won't go back to corded headphones with any detector.  Its great to see manufactures are seeing the demand for this technology and including it on their products.

On 5/4/2016 at 11:08 AM, fredmason said:

I love the wireless module on the ZED and CTX...it is so convenient and I have the option of which type of headphone to use according to the circumstance...I can even use Jonathan Porter's speakers and enhancer...

So, I wonder why others donot use a similar system.

Are you familiar with the Deteknix products along these lines?  Here is one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deteknix-Wire-Free-Wireless-Adapter-for-Metal-Detector-Headphones-1603-104-/272136038830?hash=item3f5c9269ae:g:Um0AAOSwKtVWw1zU

This package allows you to plug in your favorite (corded) headphones to the receiver unit you can put in your pocket.  They also have three versions which come with their on-ear (not over-ear) headphones.  The differences between the three is the connector (1/4 inch, 1/8 inch, or Garrett waterproof).

I bought a set (1/8 inch male angled connector with on-ear headphones, 1/4 inch male to 1/8 inch female adapter included) and so far, so good.  My concern is that their on-ear headphones might not do so great with noisy background, such as near a street or highway or near rushing water.  But I haven't had a chance to try them out under those conditions so it's just a 'concern' right now.  They work great in my back yard.

• 1 month later...

Wireless headphone and dongle set for the Racer 2 and Gold Racer is now shipping, but early reports note some volume control issues.

http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=259&t=85902&start=20

Just a reminder - these work with the Makro Racer 2 and Gold Racer but not original Red Racer.

The initial feedback from new users on the MDF forum is not looking good on these headphones,you cannot turn the volume down on them,they work fine with the cable option but the whole idea of buying them is to be 'wirefree'.

Even the original setup that used a dongle and i think it was BT based was a total failure for the original red Racer,its all well and good having great customer service and receiving new coils and bolts etc,but some underlying quality control problem seems to be the major issue with company,they may be able to bring a product too market very quickly and what the detectorist is looking for and of course the renown customer service.

But the problem of reliability is the long term fly in the ointment here,i am aware that other mayor players are also having issues as well with problems with new machies ie Whites MX sport,but with Makro/Nokta the trend seems to be much wider.

I dont own one of these machines,but my observations are based on what fellow members in my detecting club are reporting as well as on UK forums.

I have the original Bluetooth setup for the Racer and mine works just fine. The only issue I had with it was the headphones themselves were a bit muffled sounding compared to the Sun Ray Pro Gold headphones I normally use. The microseconds of delay that seems to have been a huge issue with the few people that ever reported on them was no  issue at all in my case. But if success is a product being well received and wanted by all, then they were indeed a failure.

Problems with new releases does seem to be industry standard these days and hard to set any one manufacturer above another when it comes to new model teething issues. First Texas blew the last F75 revision and prior releases of several models all had issues. The Garrett AT detectors had numerous hardware issues. Everyone complains about Minelab - their actual problems have been less prominent but they continue to grapple with service issues. I used to put White's on a higher plane than the others but the MX Sport really blew that perception. XP 3.0 was quickly followed by 3.1 and 3.2 as bug fixes - at least you can do those at home!

I just do not see any solution for the consumer but to avoid new releases of any sort by any manufacturer for the first 6 months minimum and possibly up to a year. Let others be the guinea pigs and only purchase well tried and proven products. Even that will not avoid a bad apple now and then, but it will avoid the systemic issues that seem to plague so many new releases.

I agree that Nokta/Makro as new players, especially as they are based overseas, can less afford this kind of thing as many people are skeptical of newer brands. Perceptions are formed early on and are hard to change later. Nokta/Makro I would guess has people out there who will not consider the brand due to the various issues, fueled by so many new models so quickly. The competition tends to be much slower at model releases, and so the furor dies down and people forget - until the next new model comes along with a new set of issues.

No doubt the new headphone issue will get sorted out. In the meantime it is just another thing that will reinforce a reputation for issues and problems that Nokta and Makro can ill afford when trying to make progress in new markets.

I received the new Racer 2 wireless headphones today, and what was mentioned above is indeed the case.  Quarter turn on the detector volume control gets nothing but silence, and when the volume does eventually kick in, it is just bearable.  Anything above quarter turn is ridiculously loud, it's either all or nothing so to speak.  It seems the headphones/dongle are not calibrated to the detector volume control properly, or something similar.

My local dealer has contacted Makro to quiz them over the issue. 

Other than that, they are very comfortable with no noticable lag, the audio is crisp and clear, and they are very easy to pair up with the detector.  

I do feel that these sorts of issues can be easily avoided through rigorous quality control, that means testing each unit prior to distribution abroad.  Yes it can incur additional costs for the manufacturer, though I would have thought trying to resolve an issue after the fact would cost a hell of a lot more, both financially and also to their reputation.

Anyway, hopefully the issue lies with the dongle, and they can just ship out recalibrated units to change out with the current ones.

Will keep you posted.

• Like 1