Goldbrick, 

what other machines do you have mate?

The main machines that i use for everyday use are the Deus,DFX,T2 and for really deep work the Nexus Standard SE with the dual 9'' coil on,of course my detecting sites are either pasture or deep ploughed and rolled,over time say the last 30 odd years the best targets have been found,so one then has to go deeper by using a larger coil.Or in some specific sites a Pulse will be the weapon of choice.

Trouble is what works for one location and the targets that we hunt wont necessary work for others,in my case i am after real old finds that can be deep like celtic/saxon or roman coins or artifacts,over the the years these targets could have sunk below the ability of a normal VLF machine with a stock coil,hence the need for different tactics to recover these targets.

Still plenty of hoards left to be found over here,just need the coil to go over them :smile: was on a roman hoard site a few weeks back and it was only about 30 odd acres size wise but had produced nearly 26,000 coins and still producing,albeit at a slower rate.

Like yourself i did try using a CTX but it was not a joy to use,why ?? just the massive weight,it may well be one of the top 3 detectors being used in the UK but if it was to give me a 'hernia' swinging the heavy lump all day long then that is not fun.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, PhaseTech said:

I used the 10x5" on the CTX and I ran it exclusively for a while for everything except wide open beach hunts. I really liked it, except for one point: it wouldn't fold down flat. Like when you put the detector on the ground to dig, the coil would remain at 45 degrees. After starting to use the Fors CoRe and a little later the Gold+ with 10x5" coil, I decided I would never really need a 10x5" on the CTX, so the stock 11" has been on my CTX ever since. 

Many years ago I tried a 10x5" on my Sovereign, and it was hot, almost too hot. I only ever used my Sovereign for beach hunting and always came back to the 10" BBS coil. 

The new Anderson Shaft for the CTX solves that problem.  It also relieves the stress on the cable because the hole for the cable is further up the shaft. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Des D said:

I hated the time wasted prototyping the CTX.

4 years from Nov '08 - Spring '12

I was against the project from the beginning and was very vocal about that. (no wonder I'm not employed there anymore!)

It went from prototyping a few 'E Trac 2's' and all of a sudden and what seems like 'overnite' it became what it is today.

What I [ had wanted ] in that 4 year time frame was: a New Digital Sovereign (the Legend): a New Digital Musketeer ( the Storm)

Years before that they [ ignored ] my requests for a 'pin pointer' - years TOO LATE they introduce the 'dismal' Pro Find 25

Many years before that I submitted [ plans / specs / drawings / names ] for a 'beginner model' and many years later they introduce the disaster Go Figure!

I wouldn't be 'holding my breath' for a 4040.....

Des, you and I could sit around a campfire and trade tales for hours about all the brilliant things we have told metal detector companies that they never listened to. Minelab in particular marches to their own drum.

Thanks for your effort on the CTX as I along with many people do like it, despite any faults it has.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

The new Anderson Shaft for the CTX solves that problem.  It also relieves the stress on the cable because the hole for the cable is further up the shaft. 

image.jpeg

Still looks like an awful amount of strain on that cable where it enters the coil. Can you flip the shaft upside down so that the cable enters the top? When flipping my shaft 90deg to put it in the car, I flip my coil upside down, that totally takes the kink out of the cable. 

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Des, you and I could sit around a campfire and trade tales for hours about all the brilliant things we have told metal detector companies that they never listened to. Minelab in particular marches to their own drum.

Thanks for your effort on the CTX as I along with many people do like it, despite any faults it has.

My experience with the CTX project was mostly positive. As with any new totally new platform it is a long road, and there is always someone that wants something different to you. But there can also be a complete 180 when enough field testers all report the same complaint. One of the most challenging (but very fun) tasks was when most of the features/functions were locked in and Greg Johns and myself had to revisit the whole menu interface and try and simplify it but still make it practical and logical, without reinventing the wheel, in this case the basic framework that was already in the software. There are always limitations due to the number of buttons you can have on the control panel, but I'm kind of proud of the final result.   

Steve, if you come to Oz again, we'll get Des over and make that campfire happen :smile:

• Like 2

A lot of knowledge and some interesting opinions shared here. I have 99% decided to go with the CTX. I will just wear a harness when I need to.  I would have bought a CTX by now so I have it for my next vacation but I have been real busy at work. Have not made up my mind about the Joey though. $400 to buy a wrong size bolt hole and a kinked cable? Come on Coiltek, aren't you better than that?

Danny, to answer your question I currently have;

Minelab GPX 4500

Minelab SDC 2300

Whites TDI

XP Deus

Makro Red Racer

Makro Gold Racer

Tesoro Silver uMax

• Like 1