GPX Coil Opinion Request

You already  have the right coils for ninety percent of the ground you may encounter but if I was you I would add one of the new technology coils  13x17 evo or coiltek 18 elite just because it gives you a slight advantage technologically  especialy on flogged ground.  for that deep nugget . plus it will keep the coil makers in cash to come up with new coils for us to buy!

good luck ,Greg

• Like 1

I have a bit of money right now but when I retire I just have that once a month paycheck so I figure I best get what I can now.  

26 minutes ago, AuWanderer said:

get a new technology coil.

AUWander,

I think you are right.  I believe these new technology coils are the way to go. One common thread about them seems to be better sensitivity to small gold even on the larger coils.  In the case of large mono coils I'm not sure the depth would change much but would be nice to be able to pick up even the little stuff with a large coil.  Pinpointing could be a problem with the round ones but putting gold under the coil is the first order of business.   One problem is I don't have months to test coils in gold bearing areas.  I will go west for a month and come back.  Maybe get out there again in the winter to someplace like Az.  

I think having a better detector and better coil and good training can equal success.  

13 minutes ago, cabelafella said:

if I was you I would add one of the new technology coils  13x17 evo or coiltek 18 elite just because it gives you a slight advantage technologically  especialy on flogged ground.  for that deep nugget . plus it will keep the coil makers in cash to come up with new coils for us to buy!

I hear ya, or maybe you hear me.  Someone even suggested a Detech coil and they do seem to have some that sound interesting as well.  It would be so easy to go on a coil buying binge right now, just not easy to pay it back.  

One should not browse Ebay!  I just found a 25" used nugget finder mono advantage coil for 250 so had to buy it. They are 600 new.  

Maybe still some money left for a new Tech coil! :biggrin:

I use to have a good assortment of coils, but they all went bad....the only one I have at the moment is the Detech 15x9 DD elliptical. Just bought it and found many nuggets with it all ready....paid for itself. Its not new tech, but works just fine. I did buy a 20 inch NF round mono a few years ago, but I don't use it much as its way to big for the grounds I hunt. I did find a few nuggets with it and it has paid for its self, so its not a total lose. I do know that my next coil will be new tech. If anyone is interested in the 20" Mono NF...pm me....I would use the funds to get a more useful coil to use in my area....The Commander coils are very good....11" DD scored me ounces of gold !! IMHO, you have the coils, all you need to do is get a nugget under one of the ones you have. 

• Like 1

Terry,

With the plans you have stated now you will have a great summer with or without finding a lot of gold.

I wish I would have been in Rye Patch in 2005.  I got some lessons there last summer with Lunk and they were very helpful.  It was also helpful to have someone point at a ridge and tell you how many ounces of gold they had found on it years ago.

The pounding continues so go get your share of what is left.

Mitchel

• Like 1

I stopped by Rye Patch on my way back from AK in 06 and went to the same area I had in 05 but due to not quickly finding anything and anxious to get back home I only stayed there part of a day.  It was pretty quiet there, only one camper there, a guy who said his name was Steve.  Not even sure if he was detecting.  He had a telescope setting out so maybe just watching the stars?  Looks like it would be a good place to do that too?  

The last pic is my truck and overloaded little trailer with my partners 5" dredge and all the other equipment of his I carried up to AK.  I had to stop in Tx and drop the trailer off and then it was home to NC from there.  It's a 10K plus round trip.  Lots of great scenery along the way though.

Terry

DSC00249.JPG

Rye patch3.JPG

Ok, I done did it.  There was a Detech spiral wound ultra 15" coil on ebay for 170.  Since I have no large DD coils I thought for the price I doubt I can do any better anywhere.  So now I suddenly added 2 more coils, the 25" NF mono and the 15" Detech ultra DD. So I have my mineralized ground pretty well covered if I encounter any with the 11"commander DD and the 15" Detech.  

I do keep going back and looking at the 14X9 Coil tech blitz coil though.  Looks like one that works well for small to large nuggets, is lite, looks to pin point easy cover more ground per swing than the stock coil and looks to be fairly hot on the size nuggets I'm most likely to find.