Sweet Home To Rye Patch

Planning a pilgrimage and would like some suggestions on 'MUST SEE' stops along the way. I don't want you to blow up your secret spots or jump any claims, just want to hear opinions on any oddities or points of interest that may be off the beaten path (and not in this book - http://www.amazon.com/Nevada-Ghost-Towns-Mining-Camps/dp/0913814040).

Hoping to make a good video of the trip, and of course find some funny yellow rocks when we're down there. But I always enjoy the drive more than the destination. Open to suggestions for side trips and pit stops anywhere from Bend to Lovelock.

49 north from auburn to truckee. .eat here bring a pan or sluice.

• Like 1

Herringtons really is a nice restaurant and I have eaten there a number of times.   The only problem being that it is about a 5 hour drive out of your way coming from Bend to Lovelock. 

The road from Bend goes through some very sparsely populated areas.  Quite literally miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles.  Winnemucca is the only town of any size but by the time you get there,  you are almost to your destination. 

There certainly is gold still at Rye Patch,  but it is not easy to find.  Rye Patch is probably the most heavily worked gold nugget area in the western US and it just doesn't grow back.

• Like 2

Virgin Valley opal mines are a kick. I think they are open at this time of year.

• Like 1

Lots of sagebrush and empty space to see,lol. I got creeped out in Lovelock, not into guys hanging around the restroom scene, hope your stay is more enjoyable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deathray said:

Lots of sagebrush and empty space to see,lol. I got creeped out in Lovelock, not into guys hanging around the restroom scene, hope your stay is more enjoyable.

ok so can't let that be the last post:biggrin:

it's the journey, the shortest line is not always the best, unless time is short. 49 could be a whole day of exploring, and maybe you don't need to go to rye patch, plenty of gold around the yuba, but whatever beeps your machine, right.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...