1 hour ago, beav_can said:

I wonder what toxicity effects they have on us? i.e. do they kill you quicker than deet?

Beav

I can't say about the toxicity but they might keep one's offspring from having tiny heads due to mosquito bites. At a minimum they will let one get a break from the buzzing and biting.   

Some may worry about it being toxic and I'm not sure it isn't, but at my age and all the toxic things I've been around, ate and drank it's the least of my worries. Your experience may vary.     

Sounds like a great adventure! The bugs are thick this year, not much of a deep freeze this year and all the moisture to go with it..

The ticks are already pretty thick where I live, we usually have next to none.

6 hours ago, augustwest said:

The ticks are already pretty thick where I live, we usually have next to none.

I have a cure for the Ticks too.  They are ALWAYS bad in my area from the late spring almost into winter.  Permethrin is the answer for them.  Probably also toxic but ticks down here are in the legions thick as can be Chiggers.  Put some on your boots and spray some on your pants below the knees and you won't have a problem with them.  Supposed to last a couple washing's or more and still be effective.  

Terry

The "Gadgeteer"  has a good review on the Thermacell.  http://the-gadgeteer.com/2015/08/11/thermacell-mosquito-repellent-review/

Falls short is several areas.... Butane was to last 12 hours but only lasted 8.  Pads burned up faster.

Still got bit by a few mosquitos. 

Advise was to still use other protection in addition to Thermacell.

Sounds like a good trip even with no gold.

I know what you mean about a "bear burrito",  I had a bear walk on me one night while in a mummy bag.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LipCa said:

Falls short is several areas.... Butane was to last 12 hours but only lasted 8.  Pads burned up faster.

Still got bit by a few mosquitos. 

I can honestly say I had much better luck with the Thermacell than anything else that I have used.  I was never was out more than 5 hours at a time with it  Mainly, I used it while sitting in a stand hunting and I would generally hunt only 1/2 a day at a time.  You  don't want to be slapping at mosquito's while you are in a deer stand.

I hadn't thought about it till just now but one thing I do often wear in the fall to protect myself against mosquito's and it doesn't involve chemicals, is a Bug Suit, but I need good visibility so I don't wear the net over the head part of the suit. That's where the Thermacell comes in.  Between the bug suit and a Thermacell I suffer very little.  The Thermacell does take a few minutes to kick in but once it does it's like you are invisible to the mosquito's.  Just change the butane and pads every 8 hours.  Now i was sitting and not walking or moving much which I think helps maintain the protective "bubble" around one's self.  I can't say how it would work if a person was walking or moving around a lot.  

Terry

56 minutes ago, Nevada Brian said:

Au_Solitude, are you able to post any pictures from your trip without giving the location away?

Unfortunately I didn't take any this trip. Next time!