Packability And Ruggedness

Hi y'all,

this is my rookie post. 

Living in the mountains of CO, I'm interested in hiking a thousand feet up a ridge, after hiking five miles in from the trailhead, hoping to find relics or gold. Looking at the mid-freq VLFs.

How small do they break down? Or must they be left full-length assembled, from the truck? I want to stash it in the pack next to the camera, or what about stashing it on my back while fly-fishing, for something to do when the fish aren't biting?

Also, how fragile is a Gold Bug Pro or Minelab Xterra 705? Can I leave it in the back of the truck while driving off-road?

thanks,

Scott

Like Scott said, most modern VLF's break down to be fairly compact, including both of those that you mention. It's better to have these disassembled in the cab of your truck than in the the back. Letting a detector bounce around in the back isn't going to contribute to it's longevity, I'm rough on mine but I think that's where I would draw the line. 

Hands down for backpacking the Gold Bug, GB Pro or F19 can't be beat. Very lite weight, uses only one 9v battery, entire unit breaks down into compact pieces and easily fits in any pack (I would wrap the control head in a t-shirt in the backpack and roll the shaft sections in with my sleeping bag)  tough and easy to use. On over night backpacking/prospecting trips my crack hammer,  F19 and Falcon MD20 are my tools of choice.

Mr. blkcffee;

You may read only this if you solemnly swear to post photos from your hike.

The 705 Minelab is an excellent back pack detector. It is fast to assemble, it's versatile and seems to be durable. The only breakage I've ever heard of with one is when Vanursepaul used his for breaking apart a quarts ledge for sampling.

• Like 3

Chris has a good suggestion with the 2300 unless your sites are very trashy. Give the DEUS a look see. I like it better as an all-arounder over the GBP.

• Like 1