Yes, that's a good pan of gold, sample or basic production. I'd get right after that spot, sample the immediate area and set up a sluice or better if practical. Keep us posted, I really enjoy prospecting with just a pan and simple tools.

Mike

4 hours ago, sjmpainter said:

So the question is  what would you consider a good sample Pan?

It's a really good pan for sure.  

I consider any gold at all in a pan sample to be a good thing and something with a tenth of what you are showing to be really good for a single pan sample. The amount you have I would have a sluice box or dredge on site asap. Many people as Paul has said would be happy to see that amount of gold running a sluice for a day, much less getting it in a single pan.

• Like 3

Stay on that paylayer.  Sometimes going deeper is not the answer.  Sometimes I hole punch a area like this. Then break out the Falcon MD20 probe and scan the cut banks. Find the layer that has the best pay and run it. Do lots of clean outs to know your still on it. 

• Like 2

I agree that has got to be the best sample I have got with a pan, not so much for the size of the gold but the amount of colors. Generally if I get 6-12 colors I would get serious about the spot.

So much for lazy Saturday fun looks like I have to do some dredging!

It's spring time and the snow melt is in full force so the river is a bit too much rite now but when things settle down I promise to do the dredge and will bring you folks along.

Steve, get with the powers to be. We need a pan with built in detector - something like the falcon molded in and a ring of led lights around the rim to alert the presence of gold. That would actually be a cool pan.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sjmpainter said:

So the question is  what would you consider a good sample Pan

As to pans, is this not the official and only recommended pan by this website?:wink:

https://youtu.be/9FjRQpTzCyQ

• Like 1