Anybody Got Tips And Tricks For Geode Hunting?

I have a chance to go hunt for geodes in the Keokuk,Iowa/ Hamilton,Illinois area this weekend.

Supposedly this is one of the best areas in the world to find the better geodes. Some even have oil in them I heard.

How do I tell the ones with the larger hollows before breaking them open? Anybody got tips and tricks for geode hunting?

How to break them open the gentle way?  I hear they are in creeks and gray shale deposits in ravines.

Thanks.

I've seen several ways of opening geodes.  (1) The best way to insure a smooth cut is to use a rock saw.  If you have any lapidary friends, they may have one large enough depending on the size of the geode. It uses a vise to hold half of the stone and then cut it in two. They have a diamond blade and water system to keep the blade cool and dust contained.  This might be the only way to cut into a solid geode.  (2)  A 'chain pipe cutter'.  This looks like a pipe wrench or pair of pliers, except it has a chain with small cutting discs that you can adjust around the geode and then apply pressure.  (3) The third thing I have seen looks like a hydraulic press with an inverted V cutting head at the top and the bottom. Place the geode between the blades and use the hydraulic jack to put pressure on it until it breaks.  With the last two methods, be sure to cover the geode so no fragments fly off and be sure to use eye protection. 

As far as determining the hollow ones, you might try must by comparing the weights of similar sized stones.  You might be able to even float them in water, if the inside is large enough.

• Like 1