Wireless Headphones & Internet Firmware Updates - Two Features I Want In Every New Detector

My recent experiences with new model metal detectors has convinced me of two things. First, I want every new model I might consider going forward to have built in wireless headphone capability. It eliminates the issues surrounding where to place a headphone connection on the metal detector itself, and also eliminates the possibility of a cord failure. Stress on the cord and eventual breakage is the number one reason headphones fail.

Headphones, if included or optional, would be best if they had the ability to go wireless or use an optional cord, in case the headphone battery gives out in the middle of a hunt.

Second, high end new models should have an ability to have the firmware updated at home by the owner. It has become nearly normal for there to be firmware updates, even multiple updates, in the first year after a new detector is released. I am not talking about getting new features for free, although that would be nice. I am talking about it becoming apparent that a bug exists or something was overlooked, requiring an update to the firmware. Nobody should have to go through time and expense to have to return a metal detector to the factory to get a firmware bug fix.

There are just too many new detectors becoming available these days, and I decided I need to draw a line on certain features to help eliminate the majority that are just variations on what we already have. Right now the market is flooded with 13 - 19 kHz single frequency detectors and more arriving every month it seems. Yet models with built in wireless headphone capability are almost non-existent. Given that basic single frequency VLF tech is maxed out, it only stands to reason that manufacturers need to be looking hard at ergonomics and extra features like wireless capability to differentiate themselves from everyone else.

It is after all the 21st century. Maybe I can't get my flying car yet, but asking for these two features in new detectors is not asking too much.

My current core units:

Garrett ATX - N/A

Makro Gold Racer - Includes wireless headphone capability as an option

Minelab CTX 3030 - Includes both wireless headphone and firmware update capability

Minelab GPZ 7000 - Includes both wireless headphone and firmware update capability

White's DFX - N/A

XP Deus - Includes both wireless headphone and firmware update capability

• Like 2

I'll second that. The wireless headphones is a must, it's not even newer technology, this should have been implemented in most detectors post 2010 - there is no reason no excuse not to. It's cheap technology at this point in time.

If White's had included these two features in the MX Sport it would have saved them a lot of grief. The current headphone connection location is terrible. However, if the unit also had wireless capability then the only people that would have to use the hard wired connection would be people wanting to use the unit underwater. The more obvious problem has been the inability to update the firmware without returning the unit to the factory, for some people multiple times. It would have taken the issue from being a real mess to being a minor annoyance at worst. Sadly for White's the MX Sport is a textbook example of why these two features should be standard on new models or at least those selling for over $500

All the more puzzling when White's was at the forefront when they included wireless headphone capability in the V3i. And ignored it ever since?

• Like 1

Question: Has anyone ever asked a manufacture why they dont use such elementary items as your suggesting in their products?

• The title was changed to Wireless Headphones & Internet Firmware Updates - Two Features I Want In Every New Detector

Having the ability to fix bugs via updates has proved very handy on the Deus.  Earlier in the year my WS4 headphones froze and became completely unresponsive for reasons unknown (XP had never come across such an issue).  After contacting Francois directly at XP, she suggested I reload the V3.2 software onto the control unit, remote and coil via my laptop, and five minutes later everything was good to go.  If it had been any other brand, no doubt it would have required everything to be sent to back to the manufacturer, or at best the local distributor for trouble shooting, repair or 

I am also looking forward to trying out the Racer 2 wireless headphones when they become available in June, has been a long time coming.:smile: