The Ultimate Gold Detector

What's in the ultimate gold detector? I got to see a little bit of everything on my trip from the heaviest, most complicated to the light and simple.

I'm a novice, maybe because of that I like simple. Knobs instead of menus. Light. Powerful. Long battery life. For fancy stuff like GPS I can use my phone. Iron ID would be nice.

What's your idea of the best gold detector?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, tboykin said:

What's your idea of the best gold detector?

I'm a slightly experienced novice Tom.  So my take on the best is the best you can reasonably afford.  For me, It's the GPX 5000.  I had a GP 3500 at one time and at the time it probably was the best at that time.  

Had my income allowed, I would probably have gone with a GPZ especially if I lived much farther west than what I do.  

Of course if your talking a theoretical detector that does not yet exist or at least is not yet available, it would be something like a GPZ that has the discrimination capabilities of the best VLF detectors if not better. It would weigh 3 lbs or less. It would have a host of different available coils at a reasonable price and the battery would not be 500 dollars unless it was guaranteed forever.  Wireless would be nice too since that seems to be the trend anyway.  I'm not that concerned with GPS capability either.  

Terry

Packable, preferably foldable where the screen will tuck into a more protected position while packed.  I like buttons better than knobs.  Knobs like on the gmt or tdi are easily moved out of adjustment by bushes and branches.  Every nugget detector should come standard with a small coil and a larger coil and comfortable reliable headphones. Iron id is great and the detector should be waterproof enough to use in the rain.  Weight doesn't matter too much to me yet as long as it is well balanced and isnt ridiculously heavy.  Capabilities would determine the price but anything over 1500 bucks without significant improvement in whites current tech would be a tough sell.

I hope this indicates something is in the works

power of the GPZ

discrimination of the CTX

package of the DEUS

price of the garrett ACE, thats all I ask... oh, and while Im at it no bugs or recalls. 

ok and one more thing, supply all the goodies protective covers and carry bags to fit my machine for the intended use and journeys.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, 1515Art said:

power of the GPZ

discrimination of the CTX

package of the DEUS

price of the garrett ACE, thats all I ask... oh, and while Im at it no bugs or recalls. 

ok and one more thing, supply all the goodies protective covers and carry bags to fit my machine for the intended use and journeys.

you're easily pleased my friend:laugh:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Under four pounds, under US$2000, ignores hot rocks/hot ground, punches deep on gold large and small, accurate ferrous/non-ferrous disc, minimal control set, good coil selection at reasonable prices.

Plus water proof to 10', wireless headphones and wireless external clip on speaker , rechargeable battery, foldable for backpacking and if it could dig the hole for me that would be nice too. 

• Like 1

What Steve said with manual Ground Balance, Auto GB and Ground Grab, No menu's with knobs and switches and push pads But most of all updateable via downloads  hopefully, The V3i was meant to be updateable but that only happened once to turn the V3 in to a V3i and since then there has been 5 years of missed opportunities but back then people had to send their V machines in to get them updated, whites would save Millions on postage and labour costs etc if they did it this way, And then all the Tech people at Whites could focus on Innovation instead of trying to make improvements on old technology and that's money in the Bank.

john

• Like 1

What Steve said x2 but even lighter(3-3.5 lbs)if possible. And as Art has suggested, packaged like the Deus.

You can design or own the Ultimate Gold Detector including all the above suggestions,i dont and never have done any nugget hunting as we dont have any as such here in the UK,but a detector on its own or with all of the above suggestions wont find gold by itself.

Its the skill of the operator that brings the machine alive and find you gold,not just the machine,you take a detector out into the gold field or up in the hills that you find gold and switch the machine on and put it down on the floor,does it find you gold by doing that 'NO' but a skilled operator will start hunting in the right location and set the machine up and then 'Bingo' it starts hitting targets.

• Like 1