Who Is Really Driving Metal Detector Technology These Days?

This is purely my perception but when I look at the market as a whole today there are only two companies that seem to produce machines that innovate - Minelab and XP with the Deus. Everyone else just keeps rehashing the 1990s over and over again. Take away single frequency VLF detectors and non-ground balancing PI detectors from current lineups and look at what is left to get the real picture.

First Texas - Fisher CZ3D and CZ21, multi-frequency 5 kHz and 15 kHz

Garrett - ATX, multi-period ground balancing PI

Tesoro - Nothing

White's - V3i & VX3, multi or selectable frequency 2.5, 7.5, and 22.5 kHz; Beachhunter ID, multi frequency 3 kHz and 15 kHz; TDI, single channel ground balancing PI

XP - Deus, selectable frequency 4, 8, 12, and 18 kHz

Minelab - 

GPZ 7000, Zero Voltage Technology

GPX 5000, multi-period ground balancing PI with dual voltage technology

GPX 4500, multi-period ground balancing PI with dual voltage technology

SDC 2300, multi-period fast ground balancing PI

Eureka Gold, selectable frequency 6.4, 20, and 60 kHz

X-Terra 705, 505, 305 - selectable frequency 3, 7.5, and 18.75 kHz

CTX 3030, multi-frequency

E-TRAC, multi-frequency

Safari, multi-frequency

Excalibur, multi-frequency

It is even worse when you consider that the First Texas and White's offerings are all over ten years old. You can sum new tech up in the last decade as Minelab, Garrett with the ATX, and XP with the Deus.

• Like 2

Well, when you really look at it, Minelab appears to be the current innovator tech wise.

XP is just packaging.

HH
Mike

The Deus made this list due to the ability to select between one of four frequencies. How many models let you do that? It also sets the standard for recovery speed in trash. And in the case of the Deus packaging alone can be seen as innovation.

• Like 1

I also think there are some innovations you are not recognizing.  Take the select-able filtering on the F75.  

Look at the multiple phase reporting on the Omega 8500.

Those are innovations that many may not recognize as such because they have been implemented on existing platforms.

Then there are innovations that flopped due to packaging...like the GoldStrike.

HH
Mike

That is correct - I am not counting anything anyone does with single frequency metal detectors. That was kind of specific in the creation of the thread. Personally, I think I have bought my last single frequency VLF metal detector.

You can add the AKA range to that list Steve, the Berkut, Sorex and Signum. Selectable frequency all in one coil same as the Deus. They also can accept single frequency coils from 1.5khz to 30khz, coils in different sizes and frequencies as standard, custom coils also available. As good if not better in Iron as the Deus as well, I should know, I have a Signum and a Deus. As far as I know they are also the only detector that the operator can disc out or accept the ground range of vdi's which make these serious preformers. On top of that its unique hodograph identification system. Better still the top of the range Signum MFD is about 2/3 the price of a Deus.

That's what AKA have all ready available, what they have coming, the Intronik, looks to be a game changer, transmitting and receiving 2 frequencies simultaneously, which is a first also. This twin frequency tech will preform in heavy mineralised  and saline grounds. Test have shown comparable depth performance to a GPX4500 with full discrimination. 

You can sum new tech up in the last decade as Minelab, Garrett with the ATX, and XP with the Deus.

And Minelab has many entries, not just one.

If you are the maker of a technological product, you either innovate or die.

Remember Zenith? A great American brand that sat on their laurels until there was nothing left - a Korean company now owns the rights to use the name.

Remember RCA Victor? Compaq computers? Kodak Cameras? AltaVista Computer search?

All companies that were once at the leading edge of technology, but were bit as things changed.

If you think your product is great and you never need do a thing more, its just a matter of time until you are gone.

Kodak realized eventually that film was dead, but it was too late, they were so far behind and in a hole that they could never catch up. Things are always changing.

Even Apple came close to biting the dust at one point.

If your competitor is leaving you in the dust, your days are numbered.

• Like 3

Who Is Really Driving Metal Detector Technology These Days?

Started by Steve Herschbach, 2 hours ago

Well. I am. 

newbs who don't know what the hell most of you are talking about. we tend to trust the old name brands to not be a complete pile of junk. so we are the people they are marketing too.  when we get to your level, then we will have the same wants as you power users.

but for now, I'm driving metal detector technology. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

sad huh. but the technology that makes my mx sport waterproof is a buying point for me, since I killed a detector by getting it wet and muddy. it doesnt matter if the xp outperforms it, I can't afford to replace it if it get wet!(as an example) and who ever heard of good french technology.(playing devils advocate there).(love the french). 

and this helps illustrate another point, new users getting into a hobby tend to tiptoe(read ,spend less on their first toy)