Minelab GPZ 7000 19" Coil

Note: One reply stated that this picture was a GPX 5000 18" coil. I do not think so. The GPX has an external cord and these pictures clearly show an internal cord. The GPX is also a Mono-coil machine. This coil is clearly a GPZ Super-D coil design. It would be a lot of work to produce a fake coil as a joke. Looks like the real deal to me.

The picture is from the new Minelab video that Steve posted about how they make metal detectors at their headquarters. Watch the video carefully and you can see that prototype coil and another guy testing it outside next to a standard 14" GPZ coil. It's being discussed on Bill's forum too.

In the recent Minelab video: "Meet The Metal Detectives - Inside Engineering at Minelab Electronics", this coil design is on a CAD machine is the start of the video. Two Minelab testers (at the 2:30 point in the video) are shown using these coils. You have to stop the video to see them.

The real issue is pricing.

11 hours ago, DDancer said:

...Interesting that the upper coil only has reinforcement to the front *and a band aid* but not to the rear~ a potential problem if that casing is near finalized.  Interesting though....

I was thinking that the 'reinforcement' was actually the conduit for the wires to get out to the transmit coil.  I figured they did it this way to make it easier to 'electronically balance' the coil since the wire path is centered between the receive coils and they would see 'it' equally.  Based on what I see, it will be strong enough, but the dragging on the brush will most likely be the problem, as already mentioned.  I also see a very heavy coil as evidenced by the design and the fact they would take the time to remove as much material as possible and create a fairly complex mold.  Just my observations.

But hey, what do I know?

Thanks,

Luke

The open design is to keep the weight down and as close to the stock 14" coil as possible.

9 hours ago, goldenoldie said:

As I see it, it is only a 19" x 9" coil due to the size to its centrally located transmit coil or loop.

It's probably a "two in one" coil design like the stock 14" coil. Small coil in the middle, big one on the outside. Check Steve's pics of the inner guts of the 14" coil to verify this. 

16 hours ago, Randy Lunn said:

Note: One reply stated that this picture was a GPX 5000 18" coil. I do not think so. The GPX has an external cord and these pictures clearly show an internal cord. The GPX is also a Mono-coil machine. This coil is clearly a GPZ Super-D coil design. It would be a lot of work to produce a fake coil as a joke. Looks like the real deal to me.

My reply on the MD Hunter blog stated that their photo of a purported GPX 19 coil at the Vegas Show was actually of a GPX 18" coil. I was at the show and I was with the Minelab rep who announced news of the new coil. There was no GPZ19 coil at the show and that's a fact.

The photos you posted are newer and indeed of the GPZ19 coil. And by the way, the GPX uses mono and DD coils.

This new 19" coil is now old news and no mystery as to its construction - it is simply a larger version of the coil that comes on the GPZ, a Super D or "DOD" coil. The photo at the start of this thread is of housing parts. The coil is a cut out design to save weight.

The coil was first announced on this forum February 27 at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/1712-19-20-coil-for-gpz-7000/

The official announcement was April 10 http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/1922-gpz-19-accessory-coil-coming-soon/

And yet another thread May 20 http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/2076-minelab-gpz-19-coil/#comment-24952

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

It's probably a "two in one" coil design like the stock 14" coil. Small coil in the middle, big one on the outside. Check Steve's pics of the inner guts of the 14" coil to verify this. 

I understand how it is designed however i should have been more specific in my previous reply in that as I see it, it is usually the size of the "transmit winding coil or loop" that is the determining factor that governs the depth potential of a coil.

Therefore in this coil it's transmit coil or loop is only 19" x 9" although the way that transmit winding is wound and how it differs compared to the way a normal mono coil winding is wound then at a guess that might produce some extra depth potential.

A case in hand is the way the new Evo and Elite mono coils are wound that has produced extra sensitivity and depth over a normal wound mono coil of similar size.

The question as far as I can see is what size normal wound MONO coil is the equivalent to this DOD or so named Super D type since by way of its design it uses a transmit coil much smaller then its overall diameter compared to the normal wound MONO coil whose overall diameter dimension is the size of its transmit loop.

This is the question that I ask myself.   .  

I spoke to somebody that is involved with Minelab coil testing. He said there is a small GPZ coil in the works. We might get some details in the next 1-2 months. I hope this is true because in my terrain and inside the local mine tunnels a small coil is needed before the bigger ones.