Guy's I am starting to acquire a lot of prospecting stuff and it is scattered all over the place. This year I am going to make a effort to get it together and would like to know what everyone else is doing. Do you just heap up the shed or is the closet stuffed full? Mabey you built a display rack to hold all the metal detectors? Any way I would appreciate any ideas while in the planning stage.

At this point I plan to weed out any unused stuff( if I can find it) The rest is headed for totes according to prospecting task and the detectors will get a rack to keep safe. I want to have specific packs set up for the different tasks for grab and go scenarios. And will probably end up with a corner of the shed.

Not really sure how I ended up with all this crap, but I sure do know it snuck up and bit me in the donkey.

Detectors on pegboard hooks, Extra coils on Pegboard hooks also, Headphones, pouches, Belts, picks, Hole Hogs, Horri- Hori knives, and other assorted diggers on Pegboard hooks. Batteries, 12 spare headphones, chargers, detector repair tool box, arm cuffs, coils without rods, more diggers, hand grips, meter covers, control box covers, gloves, snake gardz, etc in a hoiizonal file cabinet. Water scoops, sand scoops, scratchers, coil covers, large shovels hanging all over the place. Detecting stuff I don't use often like extra upper rods, padded detector bags, etc in totes. Floating sifter hanging on the end of the file cabinet. I think I'm pretty organized! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Steve, I am at the point I have to make the hard choice on what to keep as well. Problem for me is not just metal detectors but dredges, sluices, ect. But my goal for the year is to get organized.

One thought I have been working towards is a master checklist for different activities. That way I can scan the list for items I need to take or may be forgetting.

Last weekend I took my Gold Racer out of the back seat of the truck and leaned it against the fence to clear a spot for my dog. Can you guess what I forgot:wacko: Shure had fun with my dog:rolleyes:

Tom, you are probably the most organized guy on the forum. I got to ask what is the floating sifter? Sounds interesting I may need one.................

Here is a picture of my dredge trailer. Put a deck in it so I can pack a lot of gear. Managed to get a  4 inch dredge on the bottom. Two 2 inch dredges and my 4 inch subbie on the upper deck. I also have a shelf in the front for gas cans and other misc. gear.P1020656.JPGP1020653.JPG

• Like 1

The floating sifter is for detecting at the lake. It's an innertube with a sifter in the center that follows along behind me on a small tether. Dump the contents into it from my scoop (although I usually just shake the scoop under water). I no longer have a dredge but I do still have a drywasher I haven't used in years. 

• Like 1

Can't say I miss all the dredging gear. I still have a drysuit, some sniping tools, sluice boxes, etc. that I am thinking of selling off. I would just rather metal detect these days than work in the water and that is a good thing in the Lower 48. In Alaska unfortunately nugget detecting opportunities are very limited so all that other equipment is needed.

SJM, you must be under 45 years old yet? Most of us pushing 60 are downsizing to 2 inch dredges and mini- hibankers as our bodies object to the heavier gear. Heck, I could barely lift my drill case today, damn elbow pain...looks like we will mostly be old timers on this forum in a few more years whether we admit to it or not...might better start writing our memoirs soon....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Can't say I miss all the dredging gear. I still have a drysuit, some sniping tools, sluice boxes, etc. that I am thinking of selling off. I would just rather metal detect these days than work in the water and that is a good thing in the Lower 48. In Alaska unfortunately nugget detecting opportunities are very limited so all that other equipment is needed.

Uncle Steve, Dose this mean you are ready to give up your black book of secret dredging spots?

Let me know when you decide to sell off. Hate to see that but I do understand, I can see the writing on the wall myself.

5 hours ago, tvanwho said:

SJM, you must be under 45 years old yet? Most of us pushing 60 are downsizing to 2 inch dredges and mini- hibankers as our bodies object to the heavier gear. Heck, I could barely lift my drill case today, damn elbow pain...looks like we will mostly be old timers on this forum in a few more years whether we admit to it or not...might better start writing our memoirs soon....

Tom, you must have a crystal ball! Hopefully I do well enough to have some exciting post. If I can't be out finding gold it's nice to read about other members adventures.

Been waiting to hear about your 2 inch dredge. Did you get a chance to give it a go?

SJM,

I need a surgery which will hopefully get me back on track with mining if I can just find the right place to get it done? The parathyroid glands in my neck aren't working right and causing a mess of aches and pains apparently. Took 30 years just to get a diagnosis since the docs never checked my PTH numbers apparently and told me I was making all this stuff up, all was normal, its your anxiety, go see a shrink, etc, etc...one visit to the kidney doctor and BINGO...at least I know what the problem is now...I hate doctors but I guess they are a necessary evil at times...will try to get my big highbanker fixed up tomorrow...and go from there...we did go geode hunting Memorial Day weekend and got several buckets of them down in Warsaw/Hamilton, Illinois. Just need a pipe chain cutter thing to crack them open now. I also eyeballed some nice fossils in one creek bed including a 2 inch long, horn shaped coral thing with SHARP details, my 2nd horn thing. Will try to post a photo later. Another geode hunter from Oklahoma showed me a fossil starfish photo. He found this fossil by eyeballing in another creek in the area. It was resting on top of a piece of gray shale like it had just died there yesterday. Looked about silver dollar size.

Fossil in bottom photo, stones I lost years ago but turned up when I lost my checkbook and tore apart the house looking for it.  (Found it just as I was going to the bank to close my account )...top photo, meteorite supposedly from Canyon Diablo, note it is an Oriented stone, stone to right is white quartz, black skin, and AU sticking out of it, NOT heavy at all, dunno where I acquired it..?

Left-Canyon Diablo oriented meteorite, right-GOLD in white quartz with black coating.jpg

May 2016,coral horn fossil,Hamilton,Illinois, eyeballed in creek bed.jpg

• Like 2