Got a handle on my T-Rex beach scoop now and heading to the beach tomorrow.  Spending a week there at Topsail (pronounced "Topsol" in N Carolina) Beach for a week. Will be using the 3030 at the beach for the first time. My 6 yr old grand daughter will be there so I gotta take her fishing on the pier and detecting for treasure.  I may start out training her on my whites pinpointer and let here find the planted treasure.  It will all be fun.  

I picked up a what I thought was a 1"1/2 diameter Ash handle handle for 7.99 at the local hardware store. Guy in the store said it measured 1 7/16 but if he was correct it was slightly too large in diameter to fit the T-Rex which was good as I had an easy time sanding the end down with my little belt sander. The handle feels extremely substantial.  I can't imagine breaking it.   

Terry

100_0655.JPG

just a quick post from Topsail Beach:

I find the T-rex a bit large for here.  OK for in the water but in the dryer sand a small light shovel would be better.  This is a family vacation so haven't been detecting much yet. 

My finds are below for about an hour of detecting with the 3030. Not much to speak of yet.  The thing I really like is not one single piece of iron, not a single bobby pin or or fish hook though I heard hundreds of moanings from such.  

finds 6-12-16 Topsail.JPG

• Like 1

These are my most used scoops.

Dry Sand

sand%20scoop.jpg

Wet Sand, 14" Trenching shovel with sides welded on to keep the sand from pouring off the sides. Holes are drilled in the bottom to eliminate suction from the wet sand, and a Ü shaped handle at the top.

shovel%20side.jpg

In the Water

The%20Scoop.jpg

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Tom Slick said:

These are my most used scoops.

Looks like nice tools for the job.