Saddle Ridge Hoard on Display in Yuba City

The largest cache of gold treasure thought to ever be unearthed in North America is on display this weekend at a California antique show, providing the public with a rare opportunity to see the nearly perfectly preserved coins in person before they are sold later this month.

Called the Saddle Ridge hoard, the roughly 1,400 U.S. gold coins date from 1847 to 1894. They were found in nearly mint condition inside eight rusty cans by a couple taking a walk on their property in California's gold country in February

Saddle Ridge hoard coins will be available for public viewing Friday and Saturday at the Old West Antique Show at the Nevada County Fairgrounds northeast of Yuba City, Calif.

The coins will be available for sale on Amazon.com at 9 p.m. PDT, May 27.

In the time since the find was publicly announced in February, no credible claims to the coins have been received, according to Kagin's, including the U.S. Mint, which debunked theories that it was tied to a heist in San Francisco in 1901.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-california-buried-gold-coins-display-20140509-story.html

Steve

This is past the point of a dream. If I just could find one that would be a dream come true. I had a cleaners years ago I went to. He had a cellar under the cleaners and he would lay his keys on top of a beam over his head. One day he run his hand up there looking for his keys but to his surprise he found some gold coins. He had no way of knowing where they came from are how long they had been there.

I don't remember where are now long ago this was but a guy was dredging and moved a rock to find gold coins under it.

Years back I read a story in True Treasure about a robbery in New Mexico and two guys went looking for it. They found it and it was over 3 hundred silver dollars. I read the story the same time they did but  like I said they found it.

Chuck Anders.