MX Sport And Prospecting

JT66

I was wondering if anyone has been using the MXsport for prospecting and what your opinions might be?  Thanks...

A few people are claiming excellent depth on coins and relics in mineralized ground. The MX Sport is at the end of the day however just another mid frequency VLF and so expectations have to be kept in line with that basic fact. If anyone ever gets around to head to head testing on gold nuggets with identical coils I would bet on performance similar to what one would get from a White's MXT.

whites-mx-sport-waterproof-metal-detecto

• Like 1

Probably true Steve.

I heard it has the same GB algorithm as the GMT

If I was to use one for Prospecting I'd use a smaller 'elliptical' or even smaller...4.5" if there was one?

I agree Des, for prospecting right now out of the three coils available the 6" x 10" DD would be the best option. Rumor has it a smaller coil is in the works that might be a better sniper coil but it is hard to beat the 6x10 as a general prospecting coil.

Currently available MX Sport coils; 9.5" concentric on left, stock 10" DD in center, 6" x 10" DD on right.

whites-mx-sport-coil-options.jpg

• Like 1

If you guys would like a gold video on the MX Sport I can shoot it. It does fairly well on small gold close to the surface (kind of like the GMT). It's not as burly as the GPZ, but it also costs less than 10% of it. I'm waiting for the water to warm up before I take it up to the gold panning areas for some water hunting. But at the very least it'll be a nice way to cool off and give the pan a break.

The 6x10 would be a better choice for prospecting. There may be other coils in the works, and I may or may not have gone to the coast last week to help test them.

• Like 4

I always used the little 6 x 3 inch DD coil on my MXT for nugget hunting, and I expect that if and when such a coil becomes available for the MX Sport, that would be a good choice. The problem with really big coil on a VLF is that you need really mild ground to run them in. Ground that would be OK for a little 6x3 DD coil would drive a big giant coil bonkers. You also loose some serious small target sensitivity with a really large coil like that 13 x 11. For VLFs anyway, I always saw the big coils as things to hunt for caches like jars full of coins or other large targets, but very very few nuggets reach that size range.

• Like 1

Thanks for the opinions guys.

I was hoping there was someone on here that had made one of the adapters and was using it with the smaller coils.  

I'm glad to hear the new small coil is almost out.  Hopefully it's not a floater...

l wasn't expecting to hear any big differences, but I would think the faster processors would help stabilize the threshold and tracking some, and not having the volume tied to the gain would be nice...

I just really think the mxsport would be an excellent river sniping detector if it just had a small neutral buoyant coil...

And it would be great if that small coil came out before the end of summer!