Performance Of Small Coils On Gold With The CTX 3030?

Has anyone tested the sensitivity of the CTX 3030 6" round coil and or small elliptical coil on gold nuggets and if so how did that turn out?  

Thanks,

Terry 

Hiya Roughwater,

Yes, I did that with the small 6" coil some years ago as a Priority test.

Going from memory (and not my Notes) what I observed wasn't very encouraging: the nuggett's had to be fairly close to the coil's bottom, almost rubbing the skid plate to get a / any signal / response.

I'll see if I can find photos of my test pieces and will post if found but they were small Tanzanian gold pieces.

However, someone else might have figured out a way to get better results?

Des D

• Like 1

Thanks much Des.  

Can't find photos.

We used a few sub gram specimens Scotch taped onto aeroboard for testing the gold detector coils.

These were 'pupil of the eye sized' and larger

X-Terra 705 in Prospecting Mode had no trouble in signaling these where the CTX w/6" couldn't.

(could even get nuggetts from 2" - 4" away from coil's bottom w/X-705)

We even took CTX' to Africa but you'd have to be literally scrubbing and any gold just below the surface which didn't happen.

It's not marketed as a Gold Detector. Why do you ask? Thinking about using it for Prospecting?

We'll look forward to Steve's tests.

The CTX 3030 is far from being a machine to buy just to go gold prospecting. However, people that own them have had success finding gold nuggets with them in trashy areas. There are some pretty amazing gold nugget finds with the CTX documented on this forum. Lets face it - you can find gold with any metal detector as long as it is large enough and shallow enough. The CTX 3030 would not normally be on my list of preferred nugget detectors but at the same time if it was all I had I would go find gold with it. I will probably try and find a nugget with mine this summer just to say I did it.

There is a long pre-existing thread on the subject on the forum at 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Des D said:

It's not marketed as a Gold Detector. Why do you ask? Thinking about using it for Prospecting?

Des,

Since I have a 3030 already and I love it's ability to reject iron I thought maybe I could make use of it in iron infested areas. I do realize that with the stock coil it's not a preferred nugget shooting detector but I thought maybe a little coil might improve it's sensitivity.  I didn't know if the little coils would make much difference with the 3030, thus this post.  

I do have another VLF detector for that purpose but haven't tested it yet for it's discrimination ability.  I need to get to it though as my planned nugget shooting trip is less than 2 weeks away.  

34 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

There is a long pre-existing thread on the subject on the forum at 

Thanks Steve,

I'll check it out.