Biological Gold Indicators

https://student.societyforscience.org/article/gold-can-grow-on-trees-pointing-rich-deposits-precious-metal-below-ground

I was doing some research on Stunted trees as related to possible Plant indicators for gold and came across this website. Eucalyptus trees

in Australia found 1 lucky geologist a big gold strike . I was told some trees I found that looked like they belonged in an evil enchanted forest

could be indicating a rich mineral deposit close by? The same trees, just 150 feet upstream on this little gully are so stately by comparison,

100+ feet in height and maybe 2 foot thick trunks and thick leaf cover, whereas downstream the Evil trees have thick branches within 2-3 feet of the ground and might be 25 feet tall,

short, fat, and UGLY. The gully starts out as black soft mud by the stately trees and is brush covered and dry by the stunted trees. The adjacent fields are gravel and there is a gravel

quarry just north maybe 1/4 mile. And a large gravel bottom creek runs thru the area to the nearby river.

I haven't been to the area in a long time cause there were hand size paw prints in the sand with 3 BIG toes and following a deer. I am assuming it was a cougar, not a coyote?

I didn't feel like being cat food. I don't like guns either.

-Tom

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tvanwho said:

I didn't feel like being cat food. I don't like guns either.

So buy some bear spray. Myself I love guns but if I am detecting in the great state of Kalifornia transporting a gun is just too much hassle. Ergo my likelihood of carrying bear spray for piece of mind.

Sounds interesting...

bobcat tracks are usually rounded with no claw marks, coyote tracks are more oblong and almost always show claw marks, bear tracks are usually triangular and show claw marks...

the only track with three big toes might be an odd type of bigfoot...

just teasing, I have never seen a three toed mammal track...

fred

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tvanwho said:

in Australia found 1 lucky geologist a big gold strike . I was told some trees I found that looked like they belonged in an evil enchanted forest

could be indicating a rich mineral deposit close by? The same trees, just 150 feet upstream on this little gully are so stately by comparison,

Thanks Tvanwho.  I'll try to make a mental note of that while nuggets shooting. 

Biological indicators can and can't be present for gold deposits.  It is all a matter of percentage and perception.  How many times is an indicator right and how many times is it wrong?

We hunt in an area in southern California that has a yellow flower.  The flower is not everywhere but it is on about half of the land. This flower is said to grow (only or best --- depending upon the prospector) where there is iron/ironstone.  (It is easy to see when it blooms after a rain.)  Where there is ironstone there can be gold.  There can also be gold that has moved from these areas.  Not all ironstone areas have gold.  Much of the area has been pushed and natural soils have been modified.

Should one only hunt where you find these yellow flowers?  Is there a better chance of finding gold where you find these yellow flowers?

One thing for sure ... gold is where you find it.  If you are a hunter who only hunts when he sees the yellow flowers then that is your biological indicator.  Go for it.  You will be leaving all the other gold for someone else.

You mentioned the trees.  Maybe the tree grows better when it has a deep soil.  Maybe an area of deep soil will hold gold that has moved in and settled there.  If it is a gold vein source of gold it may be just a coincidence or the gold vein has been hidden all of these years by gravel covering it.

There may be a successful pattern out there following a biological indicator.  It may be better or worse than other methods.  Most successful gold prospectors have one thing in common and that is that they spend a lot of time at it.

I on the other hand have been lucky!

Mitchel

• Like 2

Unfortunately, where I go to prospect, there are no known gold veins or lodes ,only glacial placers

in gravel deposits. Its always a detective game ,following the clues to a potential gold spot it would seem.

Sometimes we get lucky, sometimes we don't ...

There is only one good biological indicator I know: If the ground is pure gold, there will be no flora :cool: