Nokta AU Gold Finder ID Filter & IMask

Hello Steve, the quote below is part of a message that I received on my site. As you know I refer all the high tech stuff to you. While it is interesting to know some of this stuff I still prefer to just use what continually works for me. I thank you for your time. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

"A question regarding future use of my new Nokta Au, and the INTERACTION between two of its discrimination-mode controls (it's Discrimination Filter and its iMask function).

I have been detecting/prospecting since 1968, minored in geology in college, and in the last decade and more, have owned Bug 2's and successive MineLab units up through my GPX 5000. I find I always do better if I understand my unit's processor/filter operations. So bottom line ... do you or anybody I could communicate with have an explanation of how the two discrimination processors (the Disc. Filter and the iMask) interact, i.e. compliment or conflict with each other??

The manual generally refers to the Disc. Filter as being appropriate for trash and the iMask for hot ground and hot rocks, but it appears we are clearly talking about two overlapping discrimination functions here. 

Nokta's recommended "default positions" fall short of explaining the interaction the two controls' in keeping with the excellent manner they covered the "All-Metal" control interactions on pages 15 and 16.

Just to be clear, I'm less interested in other's field experience and much more interested in a page 15 and 16 type explanation of how my Au is using/combining/filtering my "Disc. Filter and iMask setting choices."

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2016 at 7:56 AM, TRINITYAU said:

Just to be clear, I'm less interested in other's field experience and much more interested in a page 15 and 16 type explanation of how my Au is using/combining/filtering my "Disc. Filter and iMask setting choices."

OK, I almost forgot about this thread but finally got back to it. First off, my apologies, because I am going to first give you exactly what you asked not to get - owners manual excerpts.

The Nokta AU Gold Finder is basically a Makro Gold Racer in a different box, the main difference being a lack of LCD screen. Both machines have the iMask function. However, the Gold Racer manual goes into detail about how the iMask control and ID Filter interact specifically, and so provides a missing piece of the puzzle.

nokta-au-gold-finder-imask-setting-function.jpg

makro-gold-racer-imask-setting-function.jpg

The key passage in the Gold Racer manual makes clear that iMask interacts with the other settings and that it is also a setting of last resort. Ground balance, sensitivity, and ID Filter should all be adjusted first. If that does not work, put them at back at initial settings and then try iMask.

I do not know this for a fact but it appears to me that iMask simply attenuates or suppresses extraneous ground noise. It may therefore also suppress weak target signals. In my use of both the AU Gold Finder and Makro Gold Racer I have found the effect to be very subtle and not anything near like the magic bullet implied by "increase the iMask level until the false signals are eliminated". My experience is that iMask does help eliminate weak chatter in bad ground but that the majority of the chatter in the worst ground remains if the other settings are too high. It is probable that even at the max iMask settings sensitivity will have to be reduced and ID Filter possibly increased to deal with the worst ground. The good news is I also note minimal loss of depth or sensitivity running at high iMask settings - again, the effect is quite subtle.

nokta-au-gold-finder-makro-gold-racer.jpg

Steve..  Factory IMask defauld on the AU Gold finder is 6, but it  sounds like it should be operated at a lower number unless a higher number is needed for quieter operation. Is this correct or am l reading it wrong?

The default on Gold Racer is "1" and default on Gold Finder is "6".

I run both at zero unless absolutely required. Again, however, the effect is quite subtle and so higher levels appear pretty safe. The bottom line is anyone with a machine should experiment with the setting on in ground items. It is very important to have a real feel for what controls and functions actually do as opposed to using settings found in books or on the Internet. I am by no means an expert on these machines and am still learning myself. I actually appreciate questions like this on machines I own as it makes me look deeper into things I need to know myself.

I'm going to go to Redding next weekend and will be using both the Gold Racer and the AUFinder...

Will report back later......

I am jonesing for some gold!!!!

Australia has spoilt me!!!!!

Just playing around with the Makro today and got 23 pennies and a locket, a dime, and some         aluminum foil... Trying to keep sane while no areas to detect close by yet...

https://goo.gl/photos/XWNvoS2mpBcAjWzP7