https://www.facebook.com/groups/270817552932590/

Ok, I'm going to try something here.  I'm not sure it will transfer over to the forum or not.  This is a VERY cool movie that was shot sometime in the early 1930's.  It shows the road from Yreka (essentially) to Happy Camp, Calif.  Note the narrow, one lane, rock slides, old cars and buildings, and especially, about half way through, a bucket dredge working the Klamath River.  Note also the multiple tailing piles all along the river.

There is no sound so don't try that.  This was posted on a Yreka facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/Yreka.News/videos?ref=page_internal  I've no idea how someone found it but it shows how much has changed, and yet how little.

Digger Bob

• Like 5

Unless I'm mistaken, that was a drag line feeding the hopper and trommel of a barge mounted sluice with stacker. Man I've never seen anything like that in operation, only the pieces in museums and bone yards. That old footage was really cool and thanks for sharring

• Like 1

Thanks DB

There was a terrible cosmic error on the date of my birth. I was supposed to have been born 50 years earlier.

My father assembled a dragline dredge for an outfit in the 1980s on Jamison Creek, Plumas County. I believe Norm McQ also worked on that project.

These archive records provide a lot of value to historians of all kinds, including metal detectorists and gold seekers.  Although I'm far from an expert on vehicle design I have to take exception to this poster's date of 1931.  I don't think there were any cars in existence that early that look like those in this video.  Off at least 5 years and maybe as much as 10.  She was trying to tie this video to a bridge opening which is a good attempt, but it takes more than that to tie down a date.  The newest thing you can find provides a lower limit on age.  I.e. if you find a 1951 Wheatie you can say for sure it wasn't dropped before 1951, but the upper limit is impossible to determine with certainty.  Maybe someone stole grannie's coin collection yesterday and this slipped out of the grasp in his attempt to escape undetected.

Sure wish I was out there with you and could find the spot of this town and swing my detector on that baseball diamond!  If not paved over it should still hold a horde of prewar keepers.  Oh, to dream but much better to do....

Yeah, I too doubted the 1931 date.  Some of the cars date from '36 or so.  Still, it's pretty cool, in color to see what things looked like then.  The height of the depression, before the war, and people in rural areas were still able to get by.  Gold mining and timber were king!

Great vid Bob thanks for posting it up,brought back memories ,that was a interesting dredge operation no bucket line but a walking drag line to feed the operation.