Hard Work And A Little Luck

Just back from the Nome, Alaska area. Hard work (low and slow - listen carefully - focus) and little luck yielded a nice range of specimen nuggets.

The were a few areas with hot rocks but most spots had acceptable slightly-mineralized soil conditions for my GPZ and GB2. It did seem I dug a lot of rusty 3-4" nails in the 24-36" range but only one nugget this deep. Does the GPZ and other detectors pick up rusty nails deeper than nuggets? Is there something about their shape and electrical/magnetic properties that make them easier targets?

Gold Nuggets - Alaska 2016 Trip.jpg

• Like 7

Steve,

We had a few beautiful sunny days in the high 60's and low 70's mixed with a few rainy days with highs in the low 50's. It is magnificent rolling tundra country with some steep valleys just perfect for gold hunting. The fishing was incredible with Dolly Varden Trout, Arctic Char, Grayling and Pike. I had never had Pike before ...... light, flaky and yummy. The musk ox have it great in the summer. They hang out all day grazing and occasionally playing in the residual patches of snow. I will be back.

Fred,

I am beginning to love iron but mostly the old mining artifacts: broken shovels, picks, chisels, ore cart parts, rails, spikes, etc.

• Like 2