PI And Small Gold

Thanks Reg. But what about the pony?

Seriously though, a light detector with GB Pro class small gold capability, a smooth threshold and good field usability (GB capability, hot rock insensitivity) would be ideal for most actual North American gold detecting requirements. Add the ability to ignore or identify at least the majority of iron down to depths where a 1 gram nugget would be detected (8inches maybe?) and you'd really have something.

Problem is, I'm not sure anybody's marketing department would want it. The TDI SL already comes close and I suspect that it isn't setting the world on fire sales-wise. Africa doesn't seem to want it, witness the Whites SPP appearing at jimmy Sierra after it flopped in Africa. Australia is tough because ML can apparently sell cheaper there than foreign detectors can match.

It doesn't sound like FT hired Carl just to please us, so I suspect we won't see anything new in the US for a while PI wise. If I had to bet, I'd bet on a European PI for their conditions.

The ML 5000 had devotees there based on extreme depth along with (reported) discrimination to 12" or so. This is based on a Danish report I read of an Iron Age battlefield dig where a Deus was used first, then a CTX used by the same team to find more stuff, then a GPX-5000 found "lots more". The same source emphasized that without the DD coil and ML's discrimination, the GPX-5000would have been useless.

I will be in Denmark for August and September and plan to meet up with the leading exponent of the GPX-5000 for relic hunting and see how it goes.

• Like 1