Tejon Coil Recommendation

18 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Sensitivity to tiny gold can matter immensely when trying to find whispers of gold in quartz rock while hardrock prospecting, or tracing any gold to its source. Tiny bits can lead to big bits. And no matter what, they do add up. Finding any gold is better than finding no gold at all!

That is a very good point.  I certainly do not have any plans to get rich from gold prospecting.  It'd be great if it happened but I really just want to get out and have fun trying to find some gold, any gold, including the tiny pieces.  I would consider anything found to be a success.  For me, this is a hobby for fun, not a job.  

I'm interested in the comparison between the Goldbug II and the Racer Gold.  Seems like the Racer has an advantage if it can ID a target while in threshold-all metal mode whereas the GBII cannot(?)  I will have to look over the specs and manuals to get a better feel for each.  I would also be concerned about being an early adopter of the Racer Gold though.  Who is to say a new and improved version isn't right around the corner, such as what happened with the Racer / Racer II?  I've also heard speculation as to the new Fisher machine.  If that is a hot gold detector, it may be worth waiting for.

Thanks for the helpful comments Steve, appreciate it.

If all you want to do is chase tiny bits of gold, that is what the Gold Bug 2 was made to do. The Gold Racer adds extra discrimination capability that makes it more suitable for other purposes also but which do not make it any more able to find tiny bits of gold. However, the Gold Racer can run a 15.5" x 13" DD coil while the Gold Bug 2 has no coil option even close to that, making the Gold Racer a sure bet for being able to find larger gold deeper than a Gold Bug 2. It all just depends on your particular uses and how many detectors you own.

The Gold Racer has been out about 6 months and like most new detectors these days has had some teething pains. I used to think 6 months was long enough but maybe waiting a solid year is best these days before buying any totally brand new model. The White's MX Sport has been out about half a year also and its issues show no signs of abating yet, but it is an extreme example.

The Racer Gold with the larger coil is intriguing for sure.

Certainly getting off topic here, but I might also try my White's Dualfield.  Certainly not the best suited for small gold with a longer pulse delay (15uS?) but probably deeper than the Tejon in general.  Hopefully won't run into anyone else detector prospecting, or I may get laughed at!

Anyone have experience using the CTX3030 for prospecting?  Maybe the 6" coil could help its gold capability?  I discounted the CTX altogether but maybe it is worth considering(?)

The Surf Dual lacks ground balancing capability and so will struggle with hot rocks. It is set to ignore salt signals so has poor sensitivity to small gold. The gold prospecting capabilities of the CTX have been discussed at length on this forum. It is "ok" at best. At this point you are basically going with the concept that any metal detector can find a gold nugget if it is shallow enough and large enough.

If you are seriously considering buying a metal detector with prospecting as the intended use for over 50 percent of the time it is being operated, I suggest you do not stray from detectors listed at http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-guides/steve-guide-gold-nugget-detectors.htm

Thanks for the links Steve, I will continue reading.