River / Creek Prospecting - Detecting Or Panning / Sluicing?

Lots of good ideas here for N7XW. I won't drift too far off topic and go into the reasons for a steel pan but if I could do videos you all would be remolding your plastic pans into coil covers, dog dishes, fly swatters etc etc....

• Like 1

Start with education -  period. Then a gold pan. Everything else is after that.( Fist Full Of Gold) is a good book to start with.

Once you understand how and where to sample you will find colors with the pan. If you find a few colors, keep panning. If you find a few gains maybe a sluice. If you find a few grams bring in a dredge. If you find a few ounces, give me directions so I can solve that problem for you.

When you start out- determination is the most important thing to keep in mind. Finding the first gold is daunting but once you get to that point it will come easier.

Good Luck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sjmpainter said:

Start with education -  period. Then a gold pan. Everything else is after that.( Fist Full Of Gold) is a good book to start with.

Once you understand how and where to sample you will find colors with the pan. If you find a few colors, keep panning. If you find a few gains maybe a sluice. If you find a few grams bring in a dredge. If you find a few ounces, give me directions so I can solve that problem for you.

When you start out- determination is the most important thing to keep in mind. Finding the first gold is daunting but once you get to that point it will come easier.

Good Luck.

Very good points.  Thanks, appreciate it.

My experience of scouting rivers is that if the gold is very small (very small) your detector wont pick it up anyway.

Best to take some samples from areas in the river that gold may have deposited, areas that you can work without dangering yourself. Then pan those out to see if there is any gold at all. Depending on what you find, you can then better assess if it's worth the outlay for a detector.

7 hours ago, rumblefish said:

My experience of scouting rivers is that if the gold is very small (very small) your detector wont pick it up anyway.

Best to take some samples from areas in the river that gold may have deposited, areas that you can work without dangering yourself. Then pan those out to see if there is any gold at all. Depending on what you find, you can then better assess if it's worth the outlay for a detector.

Very good advice, thank you.  I'm going to take a small shovel, gold pan and AT Pro and see what I can find.  

1 hour ago, rumblefish said:

Dont forget the bug repellant. Those clouds of midges can be really annoying.

Will do!