The Zed And Small Gold

The Zed can find small gold.  The large nugget in the center is 1g and the small one about 9:00 on the dial is about .05g.  I'll have to get a scale to measure.  I'm told that a Tanita is good.  What is better?

IMG_8111.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

The Zed can find small gold.  The large nugget in the center is 1g and the small one about 9:00 on the dial is about .05g.  I'll have to get a scale to measure.  I'm told that a Tanita is good.  What is better?

IMG_8111.JPG

Bigger gold!!!!!:tongue:

• Like 1

It is funny this thread got started, as I was going to do the same thing due to a recent find.

I run my GPZ 7000 as hot as it can be run, but I also do not chase faint surface signals most of the time when on a regular hunt for gold. However, if I find a spot that has more than a couple nuggets I get more serious about things. I found a mini-patch recently that delivered up a few nuggets. I did a bit of "scrape and detect" hunting and got a very faint but very repeatable target. It ended up being the smallest nugget I have found so far with the GPZ 7000.

As far as scales you need something real accurate for tiny gold. I use digital power scales accurate to 1/10th grain (480 grains per Troy ounce). There is a good thread on scales along with pictures of a couple that I use at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/585-how-to-weigh-gold-and-such/

Anyway, this little guy weighs 0.8 grains or about 0.05 grams and about 1mm in diameter. Pretty amazing for a largish coil. I am convinced the GPZ 7000 with a smaller coil will meet or exceed the SDC 2300 for small gold sensitivity. The downside is the GPZ also will hit some ground and hot rocks the SDC easily ignores. Still, for areas or moderate to low mineralization a GPZ with smaller coil should outperform most VLF detectors on small gold.

smallest-gold-nugget-found-with-minelab-gpz-7000-eigth-grain-herschbach-2016.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I have gotten a new scale and wow ... smaller than I expected.

When I measure the smallest one in the picture it wobbled between .02~.03g.  The 10 smallest nuggets about total to only .8g.  I found even less gold than what I thought :sad: (2.14g total 12 nuggets) for the trip.

I've gotta go other places now.

Mitchel

Don't be discouraged.... It all ads up..:smile:

• Like 1

I weighed out a small one I got with my 7000 in Nevada early this spring. Weight was 0.028 grams, or 0.43 grains. Its a flat flake, so bigger than Steve's nugget in 2 dimensions, but smaller in the 3rd as its a flake.

Pretty impressive to get less than half grain nuggets with a 14 inch coil, while at the same time get surprising depth on larger stuff. Even on the bread and butter in between stuff - I dug a small nugget a few days ago that weighed about 0.7 grams at more than 8 inches and it was a fairly loud signal at the surface. I have worked that spot numerous times with other detectors and never heard that nugget before.

• Like 2

I have found several tiny nuggets in the .03 gram range with my 7000, but I am not certain of their weight. My $20 .01 gram eBay scale gives inconsistent results with these little guys. Wow, the 7000 is an amazing machine. 

When I am working a patch and get a distinct surface signal I will often give a quick check with my GB2 to eliminate the obvious iron flakes. However, the 7000 does not like the GB2 and goes wild whenever it is near. I use a trick. When I am in a remote area without RF/EMI interference I run my 7000 start-up routine with the GB2 turned on. The 7000 picks out the 72KHz signal, cancels it  and the two machines are compatible. This allows me to use my GB2 as a discrimination tool with my 7000.

• Like 4