The Zed And Small Gold

Here is another tip for weighing small gold. Unless you are using analytic scales most scales are least accurate when weighing near their lower limit. It is best to put a small weight on the scales, like a 1 gram weight, and then weigh the tiny piece along with the weight to see what the tiny nugget weighs.

In other words trying to weigh a 0.2 gram nugget by itself will generally not be accurate with most scales especially when they usually have an error of plus or minus 0.1 gram. Using a 1 gram weight and then adding the nugget to get 1.2 grams will usually end up with a more accurate result.

• Like 5

I prefer a good reloading powder scale..... it is also good for what it was intended......:biggrin:

• Like 1

I too am amazed at how the Zed picks up small nuggets at depth. I also run my Zed on high sensitivity with a very slow swing speed and find I am digging deep for pitiful small pieces. I dig down ...and down only to be shocked how small the nugget is when recovered. And the best thing is that among the small gold you can still get the deep broad signals and score 2 foot plus targets. The best of both worlds.

Re scales, I don't worry too much about weighing the super small nuggets, but if you buy a Zed, the  scales I recommend you should buy to keep in the car are  5 kg kitchen scales. There's nothing worse then sitting in camp for days trying to guess the weight of a slug or specimen you found that is too big for your 200 gram scales.

cheers RDD

PS. Zed owners should also buy a crowbar and keep it in the car.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RedDirtDigger said:

Re scales, I don't worry too much about weighing the super small nuggets, but if you buy a Zed, the  scales I recommend you should buy to keep in the car are  5 kg kitchen scales. There's nothing worse then sitting in camp for days trying to guess the weight of a slug or specimen you found that is too big for your 200 gram scales.

cheers RDD

PS. Zed owners should also buy a crowbar and keep it in the car.

RDD,

I would like to share your experience on a regular basis.  This area I am going has not produced anything more than a 5 grammer in years!

Yesterday I got to the field at 3 AM for some cool night swinging.  I got 3 little nuggets before dawn and 4 more before 10 AM for a total of 7 for 1.14g.  I was ready for a new record and then it ended.  For the next 9 hours I was without a find of any size.

The heat and sun gave me a bad attitude.  It's time to go to ...

AUSTRALIA!

Mitchel

9 hours ago, vanursepaul said:

Only a plane ride away!!!!

But ... you need to know what you are going to do when you get there!

On 8/16/2016 at 1:28 AM, Randy Lunn said:

I have found several tiny nuggets in the .03 gram range with my 7000, but I am not certain of their weight. My $20 .01 gram eBay scale gives inconsistent results with these little guys. Wow, the 7000 is an amazing machine. 

When I am working a patch and get a distinct surface signal I will often give a quick check with my GB2 to eliminate the obvious iron flakes. However, the 7000 does not like the GB2 and goes wild whenever it is near. I use a trick. When I am in a remote area without RF/EMI interference I run my 7000 start-up routine with the GB2 turned on. The 7000 picks out the 72KHz signal, cancels it  and the two machines are compatible. This allows me to use my GB2 as a discrimination tool with my 7000.

I tried that this weekend and the 7000 did great but now the vlf goes crazy!!!!:sad:

The Z is certainly sensitive to tiny scraps, have got that way that if it is obvious there is a number of shallow sub-grammers about, grab the SDC and recover them, makes for less frustration. Then go back over it with the Z it has more depth naturally even on the sub-grammers.

• Like 2