Need A Little Help On New Whites Pinpointer

tvanwho

I got a new Whites waterproof pinpointer last week. Dunno if its operator error or bad unit?

I am using the AA batteries it came with. When I turn it on to pinpoint a coin, it is stable for about 10 seconds, but then

it starts to sound off on every dirt clod within a foot diameter of the hole . If I can pinpoint the target quickly, its ok, if not?

Well then I start cussing/screaming at it. The book says something about the Ground Grab thing but this is all  black dirt, and

hardly any ground minerals. Before I send it back and get the orange Garret Carrot Propointer, I thought I'd ask for advice on the Forum?

Am using it with my old Tesoro Lobo ST detector with 3 x 7 coil. If the pinpointer is within a foot of the LST coil, it goes crazy too.

Never had these issues with my old Garrett Propointer?

-Tom V.

Couple things here- when you first stick the TRX in the hole, ground balance by touching the tip to the dirt and hit the button once. You can repeat if it starts to chirp due to ground minerals.

Another thing is you might turn down the sensitivity some. In the ground here in the PNW I run mine at 2.

https://www.whiteselectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/trx_manual_web.pdf

Thanks tboykin. I also found a slightly used Garret Carrot pinpointer today for $109 shipped, so its coming too. Then I will keep the pinpointer I like the most. Personally, I just like a turn on and go pinpointer to keep it simple and being waterproof, can use it to hunt for placer gold/coins in creeks too.

I have the trx also and it acts the same way, what I've found works pretty good is to turn the trx on pointing down at the the ground a few inches away from where you think the target is. Pinpoint the target and then before I set the trx down I give the ground grab a quick hit, this mostly keeps it quiet. Frequent use of the ground grab button quiets the thing down when it's acting unstable, which is a lot.

For me the TRX sensitivity setting 4 is unusable, 3 is borderline but still prone to falsing, and 2 is probably the most stable all-round setting.  Both My Garrett AT Carrot and Minelab Profind also require retuning on basaltic or mineralised soils, otherwise they will suffer the same instability as with the TRX (profind put to ground on startup).

In my experience, the only pinpointer I've owned that runs dead quiet on such ground is the Deteknix PI X-pointer, although it doesn't quite offer the same sensitivity to small targets, nor have the battery life of the more common VLF pinpointers.  It can also have crosstalk issues with certain detectors being PI.  Not sure what the newer units are like not having used them.

As for crossplay between VLF pinpointers and your chosen detector, it all depends on what combo you have.  My TRX seemed fine with most of my detectors, whereas the Garrett AT will send pulses through my Deus if too close to the coil, though nothing drastic and certainly manageable.  The coil should be kept at least a couple of feet away during recovery, I would expect most pinpointers would set off the detector if only held a foot away from the coil - some more than others. 

If you are unsure on whether your chosen detector will play ball with a particular pinpointer, if possible, it might pay to try before you buy to make a more informed purchase.

• Like 2

I've been spoiled here by Steve's detailed and vast list of reviews of metal detectors used specifically for finding gold.  Even though (from what I've read and seen) the use of a hand-held pinpointer is much less common among gold hunters than coin hunters, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a website the multiple reviews of those devices for any treasure hunting application.  (Did see Steve's Garrett Carrot review in Gold Prospector mag several months ago.)  There are quite a few to choose from, most in a common price ballpark (+/-) and it would be nice to see the features listed in a common format.

Hmm, nice to know I am not the only one with a TRX instability issue...4 inches of depth is pretty darn good for a pinpointer which is one reason why I bought the unit plus its waterproof and my buddy said could use either AA batteries or 9 volts. AA's are a good bit cheaper than 9 volts. I'll give it a 2nd chance here . So, I just push the button quickly for this Ground Grab thing vs push and Hold? Might help to read the instruction book a 3rd time while out coin hunting with it too...is the Sens set at 4 out of the box? How do I turn it down? Does it remember settings at Poweroff?

1 hour ago, tvanwho said:

Hmm, nice to know I am not the only one with a TRX instability issue...4 inches of depth is pretty darn good for a pinpointer which is one reason why I bought the unit plus its waterproof and my buddy said could use either AA batteries or 9 volts. AA's are a good bit cheaper than 9 volts. I'll give it a 2nd chance here . So, I just push the button quickly for this Ground Grab thing vs push and Hold? Might help to read the instruction book a 3rd time while out coin hunting with it too...is the Sens set at 4 out of the box? How do I turn it down? Does it remember settings at Poweroff?

Video might be quicker for ya - 

Holds settings on power down. I run mine at 2, 3 or 4 is too hot for my ground. Push the button quickly for ground grab.

my garret is a little hinkey too.