Question On Gold Racer Coil

Having a problem with the 4.5X7 elliptical coil just purchased and wonder if anyone else has experience with it. At sensitivity 90 and above it overloads, 89 or below it appears to operate normally. Other settings appear to not be involved, just sensitivity. Even running at 89, it seems to offer excellent target separation and beautiful sensitivity to small. Just want to be able to push the gain a bit.

Is this just a bad coil or am I doing something wrong?

It overloads in both, and does not seem to matter if coil is on the ground or in the air. The cutoff for overload is perfectly distinct and consistent. 89 is fine, 90 = overload. Sounds like a bad coil then. Thanks Steve.

It does indeed. Like quantum jumps in the boost. Seems to be most noticeable in all metal mode, which is not surprising. Everything is heard better in All Metal.

I seen this post and even though ive had a 5"x7" eliptical for awhile. I havent had a chance to get out to the goldfields to try it, due to my knee injury. So I decided to try my luck in my yard to see if my small eliptical did the same. Unfortunately my luck was bad, mine does the same. in any search mode, it is fine on 89 sens. but 90 is the overload. Im not sure this is a individual coil problem. Seems like it might be this way with all or most of them. Some design flaw. One thing I do know is most of the time I use gold racer, I run in all metal. the grounds that I detect will rarely let me turn up the gain past 79. More then likely when I get out soon to use this new 5"x7" elip. I probably wont be running the sensitivity up at 90. Good luck

You may be right about this California, and thanks for posting this test. There is so little information posted on this detector from actual users, and especially with this particular coil, that every little bit helps.

My dealer called Detector Electronics and said he talked with several of the folks there. No one there has heard of this problem with this coil before, but they are sending a new one to replace it and we will see if that one also does it. Email to Makro has not been answered as yet.

My experience with other machines has been that small coils can be run at the same sensitivity as stock coils, sometimes more, but the GR has an extraordinary gain range. As Steve notes, there is a big jump from 89 to 90, My experience with the Gold Racer is that the stock coil can be run in the mid to upper 90s in my soil most places, it will be noisy as the gain gets higher, but works very well that way. The range I most use is 92-96, occasionally as high as 98 in some sites.

Having used this coil for only two days, only some very basic observations can be made. It is very sensitive to small, noticeably smaller than the stock coil, and might well be smaller than most would care to go. This is noted even at the lower gain required to operate it. The target id seems no better or worse, but target separation is better. There does not seem to be much loss of depth, but it is too soon to tell for sure. Ground coverage is of course slower as with any small coil, but for me that is not the main concern.

I wonder if the small round coil would do the same. There still seems to be few of the machines out there, judging by the posts on it. Almost nothing on the accessory coils is to be found, and there seems to be no one aside from Steve in the US to even ask. Given what is seen with this machine, and with this coil at lower gain, if the small coil could be made to run at higher gain things could get interesting indeed.

Mine runs at full gain unless the ground itself overloads it. I have the round coil also but have not done comparisons as relates to performance. It also runs at full gain in air tests.

That does not mean my coils are any more sensitive than what you have however. Your coil at 89 could be as hot as mine at 99.

3 hours ago, SLGuin said:

You may be right about this California, and thanks for posting this test. There is so little information posted on this detector from actual users, and especially with this particular coil, that every little bit helps.

My dealer called Detector Electronics and said he talked with several of the folks there. No one there has heard of this problem with this coil before, but they are sending a new one to replace it and we will see if that one also does it. Email to Makro has not been answered as yet.

Hello! This is Dilek. We have not received any email regarding an overloading GR small coil. Which address did you send it to? I personally check each email (just like I try to read the forums on a regular basis) and I make sure that each email is answered by somebody in my team if not by myself. If the issue continues, please contact me directly at dilek@noktadetectors.com and I will take care of it directly. Thank you! 

• Like 2

I went ahead and tested all the coils made for Gold Racer including 2 prototypes from another coil company and only the 5x7 eliptical has this issue. But I have seen this before with a couple detector coils from another brand detector. here is the fix. while the detector is on and it is in overload, try taking the coil cover off. it immediately fixes the issue. you can even crank it up to 99 sens. Like steve said, it might still overload on the ground. but not in an airtest. now maybe steve might have a theory of why the coil cover might cause the overload. and not when it is removed. good luck