Gold Bug 2, Hot Day, 1.7 Grams

Last week during a slight break in the heat, my brother and I took our Minelabs and GB 2's out for some detecting in a heavily hammered patch.  We didn't find anything with the Minelabs, but both got over a gram and a half with our Gold Bugs.  There had been a slight rain the night before, but otherwise conditions were the same as previous skunk-outs in that location.  I think our success was probably due to careful ground balancing and swinging very very slow and as close to the ground as possible.  It is certainly much harder than in the "good old day," but they are still out there.  We just need to remember that this is just a great hobby and like golf ever once in awhile we get a bogey.

But of course along with the nuggets there is trash and in our case-nails and tacks, shotgun pellets, old lead bullets, cartridges, pick handle wedge, copper wire, iron wire and rusty stuff. 

GB 2 1.7 grams.JPG

• Like 5

Yes it is Fred and I thought about that too.  I know of least 10 guys who have been over this patch, mostly with Minelabs.  So I suppose they are ignoring backward signals and blank-outs and of course probably wouldn't have gotten the pellets.  But the two big nuggets, the copper wire, the bullets and cartridges should have been found.  My brother and I were working theouter edges too.

JW,

Don't think any SDC 2300's have been over the site, but a GPZ 7000 has.  Yes we do use the DD coils on our Minelabs and that is what I have on the 4500 now.  I do find pellets with my large Commander Mono coil on the 4500, but pin-pointing them takes a lot of time.  Thanks for the comments.

Gary

What Fred said ... that is some big trash so I don't care how many units have been over it ... you'll still find gold until you find nothing.

JW,

I use the 15 x 12 inch Commander Mono and the so called "Joey" 9inch DD coil.  Although we sometimes use the 10" coil that comes standard with the Minelab.  I have both a 3000 and a 4500 and was impressed with the Commander coil's ability to find even small shotgun pellets the two.  But lately with shoulder problems, I'm using the GB 2 and it's opening up old ground.  Thanks.