Going For The Gold - How Much Is An Olympic Gold Medal Worth?

Olympic gold medals have not been made out of solid gold since 1912. They are now gold plated silver. Currently a gold medal weighs 500 grams - 6 of those grams are gold and the other 494 grams are silver. The size has varied over the years and the current medal is 85 millimeters or 3.35 inches in diameter.

At today's price of US$43.54 per gram for gold and US$0.64 per gram for silver a medal has a theoretical smelt price of US$577.40

Source and more details at http://www.bnd.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/answer-man/article95816867.html and also manufacturing photos at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3742729/Why-gold-isn-t-worth-think-Medals-cost-587-haven-t-pure-gold-1912.html

image.jpeg

Although some in the past have sold their medals for much more than the value of the metal, for most, the value of that medal is of course priceless.  It's been a thrill for me to watch the best in the world compete in so many different sports. It's generally the only time the best in the world come together to compete.  I was happy to see the US metal in some events they haven't metaled in many years.  I was impressed with the US women in general as they have come to dominate the world in many sports.  

Thanks Steve..Although I have not had a chance to watch 1 minute of the Olympics I have seen clips on the news of Olympians kissing and biting their gold medals and was wondering about the gold content.

strick

Been wondering about this since the Olympics started this year, thanks for the info!

I also wonder where those 1912 and prior gold medals are today?!?  Did they stay in the family, gone to museums or just melted!??  Seems sad to me if melted!