A Makro Gold Racer Will Detect Bottles Of Fine Gold, To My Surprise

On 8/20/2016 at 9:52 PM, johnedoe said:

I'm gonna be a little transparent here and I hope you all can get as good a laugh out of it as I did....................eventually...

Dana. ...... I did the same thing. I got a hot new coil for the V.

OK….. here is a small vial of beach gold. finger for reference point….:biggrin:
I got the V out… it now has the 6x10 elliptical coil on it.
in the stock prospecting mode it will detect that vial with cap on at a little over 2 inches………
WOWEEEEEE

The wife walks by and sees I am quite happy with this little experiment.........

She then just looks at me and says .....Take the cap .....  off the bottle......................:blink:

I take the cap off and it actually still detected the small amount of gold in that vial but I almost had to scrub the bottom of the vial against the coil…..Still not bad I guess.

Brought to you by Rough and Ready scientific laboratories……. 

Screen Shot 2016-08-20 at 9.47.07 PM.png

Johndoe, thanks for pic, those are like my finest bottle but maybe 20% bigger pieces on average than mine.  That is a mini shampoo bottle, no gasket at all.  The others are std gold bottles, just like one in pic, but see white cardboard gasket when remove cap.

Also these same bottles would not register with other detectors.   Think the touching pieces are conducting enough to mimic a larger piece.  If there is foil between cap and gasket, that is possible but not going to ruin bottle to find out, as all plastic bottle is seen too.

EDIT: TAKING OFF CAP DOES NOT WRECK THE CAP,, GOOD IDEA, JUST DID IT, NO DIFFERENCE, MY MEDIUM FINES ALMOST IDENTICAL TO YOUR PIC IN SIZE AND AMOUNT WAS DETECTED 2.5" WITH ID, MAYBE 3" WITHOUT.  SETTLED, ITS PICKING IT UP. 

Cheers

Dana,

Most interesting. And thanks for continuing to experiment with it. Please keep posting your experience with it.

As a side note, the foil lined cap gaskets from bottles, even very small bottles, are actually large targets to the gold racer and ring hard at some considerable distance. The gold racer is sensitive enough to pick up fragments of gum wrapper you almost cannot see and hunks of bobby pin 1/4" long so that is no surprise at all. It also easily picks up your hand at the distances you are getting as Steve has mentioned if it is set well.

Even though it may not hit on your fingers quite as well, those fingers are attached to your hand and if you are holding the vials with your hands to pass them by the coil there will be an influence whether your fingers ring or not. A further experiment might be to find a way to do it without your hands being in the detection field at all. As mentioned above, a plastic scoop is required to pass soil samples over the coil to check them without this influence, not using such a scoop and not knowing this is a recipe for madness the first time you use one in the field trying to recover elusive targets so you are ahead of the game there.

If the vials are still hitting without your hands in reading range, this will be a really big deal and well worth your time investigating because such vials of this size gold are not known to ever hit on a detector. This is not at all to say that you may not have hit upon something that does, things are often done that were thought impossible by people who tried because they did not know it was impossible.

It would be most interesting indeed if you would continue to work with it and sort out just how it is hitting these in this way. Your settings and modes and method would be of great interest to every single member of this forum if you figure it out. You are already well on your way, please post more as you go further. Knowing what your detector does by seeing with your own eyes on known targets is very powerful knowledge. Good luck, and thanks for posting your results.

SlGuin,  Thanks for tip,   On Medium fine quite like pic above, but with some pieces about 20% bigger than pic above, took an empty envelop put bottle in it so finger tips 8" from coil and same results, about 3" away it detects.  With finest bottle it seemed to reduce detect to 1", so fingers on that one may have effect, but not mediums.

It has never been said that all metal detectors CAN'T pick up fine gold in a vial. I can do it with super hot machines. It is just that MOST metal detectors won't. That is the entire reason detectors like the Gold Bug 2, GMT, and Gold Racer exist. They run at higher frequencies purely to enhance their capabilities on small gold. You are just observing that enhanced capability. How the gold packs in the vial, how clean it is, the amount of gold, how well particles contact each other, wet or dry - it all makes a difference.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dana-SierraBlaster said:

BTW the bottles do not have a lot of gold, bigger fines maybe 1 pennyweight, finest fines about 1/2 pennyweight.

Sorry, I read that as individual pieces.....

Dana,

Cool. It might be interesting if you take the largest piece from that batch and try it alone. Then try the vial without it. You might be surprised. The GR, especially with the smaller coil, will hit amazingly small targets.

No matter what, 3" on a vial of gold that looks like the pic is really good.

I stand corrected on the most/all detectors thing. If you keep tweaking your experiment, Steve will keep chiming in with variables and we will all learn something.

Good work, and thanks.

S

Well don't I feel silly.......:rolleyes:

Now Dana.... Go get that gold.....:smile: We are gonna want to see piles and piles of yellow metal. 

Good luck and Heavy Pans.

8 hours ago, schiara said:

On the Gold Racer in All Metals mode, if you double push the left arrow button the menu frame on the screen will start blinking. This means you now in all metals enhanced mode and you will get more target definition and more sensitivity.

Schiara,

This is a mode I have not tried. Have you used it much? What is your experience with it? I am going to try this tomorrow.

S

This enhanced mode is audio boost while in all metal. it is handy to help locate those tiny faint signals and isolate them. but it does increase ground noise and hot rocks audio. at most gold locations it increases the ground and mineralization sounds too much and is mostly meant for sparingly use. it is similar to audio boost on older detectors.  Also  if I remember right; makro did an airtest video with their engineer. I think the first target in air test was a small bottle of fines. but like steve said the hand can cause target responses. maybe someone can post the makro airtest video.

good luck

• Like 1