Help With Metal Detector Choice

Good day everyone, I'd like to tap in your knowledge for my next MD choice. I've been using the teknetics delta 4000,then I saw that a local dealer is offering on sales a Makro Gold Racer and a Makro Racer 2 at the same price. I'd like to find small pieces of gold and the high freq of the gold racer should be ideal and i saw plenty of vids on youtube of its very high sensivity. But on the other hand I don't like the idea of getting stuck in a over specialized md. So my question is the following: is the gold racer viable also for coins, jewelry, or is built only for very tiny gold specs? Is the makro 2 more advanced? 

thanks! 

The MGR will lock down in coins so hard that I can tell what they are before I dig 98% of the time.

If you read Steve's reviews on it you will also see that it is deadly on micro jewelry. 

I think it is an easy to use detector for relics  coins, or gold..

Read the reviews already posted..

Steve will steer you to them.

The Racer 2 is more a general purpose detector geared for coins, relics, jewlery, and also possibly gold nuggets. The Gold Racer leans much more to the gold nugget and gold jewelry side of things but is also a decent coin and relic detector.

Detailed Review Of Makro Gold Racer

Announcing Makro Racer 2

Makro Gold Racer Versus Racer 2

Makro Racer 2 Versus Gold Racer On Buried Gold Nuggets

The Makro Racer 2 is normally $749 and the Makro Gold Racer is normally $699 

1 hour ago, vanursepaul said:

Steve will steer you to them.

Steve can for sure explain the advantage of both detectors much better than me and Paul I am sure is correct about it hitting hard on coins as he owns one.  My only concern here is the ground you intend to prospect. I take it you live in Australia?  I understand much of the ground in Australia is fairly hot.  Hi frequency detectors such as the GR I believe have more problems with hot ground than lower frequency detectors such as your 4000.  Otherwise for finding small gold and probably some not so small the GR is is a great detector.  I see Steve has just replied so good luck on whatever you purchase. 

Hi Steve and Roughwaters,nice to meet you!I live in northern Italy,in the central Alps,it's one of the few areas where gold can be found here and it comes in small flakes and filaments brought to the plains by rivers once the glaciers retreated,so no lumps here and a lot of prospecting in river side must be done! I'd like to take the md either where the old timers used to do mining and also in harsh secluded areas where no one has ever prospected :)

• The title was changed to Help With Metal Detector Choice
On 8/31/2016 at 2:44 AM, Andrepidem said:

I'd like to take the md either where the old timers used to do mining and also in harsh secluded areas where no one has ever prospected :)

Yes, A good place to look is where the old timers used to mine.  If you find old tailing piles that is one place many find gold over here.  Some will rake the tailing piles to get at the potential gold buried deep in the piles.  The Gold Racer would be a great tool for that purpose as there is often much iron trash where the old timers worked and the GR will help you sort through it to find the small gold and maybe a old coin or two the old timers lost.