GPX 4500 Or SDC 2300

Benny

Hi all,

I'm ready to buy my first detector and have narrowed the choice down to two. Mainly based on price but some advice could help point me in the right direction. My choices are the GPX 4500 & SDC 2300, within $100 of each other. Most of my hunting will be in the Golden Triangle of central Victoria, Australia. The GPX seems to be more versatile but the SDC appears to be easier to master. It appears both will find gold in the right hands so I suppose my quandary revolves around which one will give me the broadest chance to find gold in quantity and size.

Cheers in advance,

Benny.

If you read and follow the manual and if you get one of Jonathan Porter's videos for the 4500 you will certainly have a fine detector. 

Getting into gold country and getting over the gold is a whole different subject...you are in the land of big nuggets, bad dirt and tons of trash so skill and patience will need to be developed.

good luck

fred 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Benny said:

my quandary revolves around which one will give me the broadest chance to find gold in quantity and size.

That says GPX 4500. The SDC 2300 is a great little vacuum cleaner but it is limited by the small hard wired coil. If you want any serious depth on larger gold the GPX is the way to go. The GPX is easier than you might imagine - just use the stock recommended settings, maybe bump the gain up, and go find gold.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to GPX 4500 Or SDC 2300

Another way to look at is, if you are successful with whatever one you decide on, you`ll be getting a GPZ 7000 next. If that turns out to be so you`ll find a SDC handy to use in conjunction with the Z, much easier to recover those surface sub-grammers. Bit of a quandary for sure. I`d lean towards the SDC for its ease of use, it is IMO the easiest gold machine to use but because you can`t put a larger coil on it, the 4500 is more versatile. Enjoy the decision making process.

• Like 1

Hi Benny, I would recommend the 4500, after detecting with it since its release and detecting regularly  with friends who have the 2300.

The 2300 will find you lots of small nuggets as you wander over the millions of mullock heaps in the triangle and you will be happy. I have friends who use 2300's and simply like worked ground and quartz reefs above the diggings and they can score dozens of nuggets a day in some spots but they only tally to a couple of grams. The 2300 is not the tool for covering ground and searching areas.

But if you want to cover some ground searching out runs and patches and want to give yourself a chance at finding deeper bigger gold get the 4500. In have had my 4500 since its release date and it is now my back up detector after the Zed. It has paid itself off 38 times. The 4500 is deadly and if you learn the machine, do your research and detect regularly you will succeed. If you purchase a small sadie type coil for the 4500 you can still crumb for very small nuggies on the mullock heaps with success

The biggest factor for me is the 2300 has a very small coil and just does not have the ground coverage or depth  to make it useful for searching bigger areas or looking for deeper nuggets.

Cheers RDD

• Like 3

Wow. Thanks for all the input. I didn't expect so many replies.

Looks like I'll get the 4500. Big gold is of course what I think everyone would love to find and I'm happy to put in the hard yards and learn the machine. Getting out into the bush and exploring the old diggings and discovering new ones will be fun.