Detech Now An Official Coil Manufacturer For White's?

I was a bit surprised a while back when White's started directly selling the DeTech 13" Ultimate as an official White's branded coil. https://www.whiteselectronics.com/product/detech-13-ultimate-dd-search-coil/ "Very odd" thought I, but I figured it was some kind of one off experiment. The DeTech coil is compatible with the MXT, M6, MX5, V3i, etc.

image.jpeg

Now it appears White's has turned to DeTech to produce their promised smaller coil for the MX Sport, a 7" round DD coil. From https://www.whiteselectronics.com/product/7-detech-mx-sport-coil/ "Tested and vetted by White’s Electronics engineers and field team, we are offering a limited supply first-run of only 10 coils. Limit one per order."

I have used the DeTech 13" Ultimate myself for other brands, plus other DeTech coils and they have done well for me. I guess I am just surprised to see White's turning to a Bulgarian manufacturer to produce coils they once would have made in house. In this case it probably allows White's to get a small accessory coil to market quicker than might have been the case otherwise. People have been wanting something like the small 6" round Eclipse concentric for the MX Sport, but the problem with that coil is it is a thick foam filled coil not very amenable to underwater use.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I guess I am just surprised to see White's turning to a Bulgarian manufacturer to produce coils they once would have made in house. In this case it probably allows White's to get a small accessory coil to market quicker than might have been the case otherwise.

When I visited the Whites Factory a month or so ago in Sweet Home I did notice they were still in the business of making coils.  It was pretty cool seeing the different coils in various stages of being built. That said, maybe Steve is correct about White's wanting to market coils more quickly for the Sport.  Having more coils available for the Sport would of course make it more marketable and Whites did promise more coils for the sport would be available not long after the sport came out and I'm sure Detech didn't mind at all to be providing some of them. 

I thought too it was interesting that whites had built a Faraday Cage which is a grounded wire mesh room room to test their equipment in. I totally understand why they would as it would allow them to test detectors and coils in doors without worry of interference from any electrical or signal sources.  Cages like these can also be used to prevent signals from escaping as well.  Some are so good you can have a mobile radio transmitter inside and a receiver just outside the cage and not be able to receive a signal just a few feet away from the cage.  These cages are sometimes tested in this manner to assure they are doing their job.     

Great and interesting coil video!  Thanks Steve.  Yep, that's the cage I saw.  Seems like it would be fun being the person testing all the different coils to see first hand how they fare between each other.  From the looks of the coil reject box in the video it appears they do a lot of testing before they put a coil out the door.  

I have the stock coil that came with the MX Sport and I have the concentric 9 inch coil plus the 10 x 5 DD. I'm very please with the concentric coil and I too wish I had a 7 inch concentric. Like said I have the 10 x 5 DD and it's said to add the 10 + 5 = 15  div x 2 gives you a 7 1/2 DD coil. What I'm saying is why do I need another DD coil that's 7 inch if you do the math !?.

Chuck

• Like 1

On 9/4/2016 at 8:09 PM, Ridge Runner said:

I have the stock coil that came with the MX Sport and I have the concentric 9 inch coil plus the 10 x 5 DD. I'm very please with the concentric coil and I too wish I had a 7 inch concentric. Like said I have the 10 x 5 DD and it's said to add the 10 + 5 = 15  div x 2 gives you a 7 1/2 DD coil. What I'm saying is why do I need another DD coil that's 7 inch if you do the math !?.

Chuck

I don't understand this.  You imply that the average of the long and short axes represents the performance of a coil sufficiently well so as to be able to claim two different shaped coils are equivalent (or close to equivalent) in perforamance when these derived quantities match.  I've never heard this.  Or am I misinterpreting what you said?