Jeep Wrangler TJ ???

1515Art

4 minutes ago, gambler said:

a good lift on a wrangler makes it feel soft on the road, but the articulation off road makes up for it. toyotas ain't what they used to be. :smile:

At slow speed, just after pulling out of the sellers driveway it felt like I was piloting my boat the steering linkage was tight but the ride was very loose and the tires were only equal to 32's from what the guy said not giant, could have been the way the tires were built, or worn. Needing new tires, full brake job in front as it had a little pulsing/shudder and pulled to the left on braking, possible driveshaft vibration he was telling me about and although the cooling system was all upgraded when I checked the reserve tank was clean but empty, pulling off the radiator cap... No visible water, I could see the fins, they were very clean as everything was new and clean for the most part. He said it just liked to run like that, he could fill it but it would just seek a lower level and ran very cool. Seemed strange to me but the radiator was very over size and sat a little high so it could have something to affect the fluid level?? Still strange and a bit concerning, but it ran cool on the test drive and although gutless drove ok going 65 on the freeway, a long road trip might be just that, so not sure how much I like the jeep, think I gonna have to test a few. 

Anyway, I think I'd a been ok at 19k for that one, but even with all the goodies it had not the 21k he wanted, since running the actual rubicon course is not on my to do list. I love driving around in the gold areas and seeing where the road leads, but rolling my rig climbing a giant rock lost its luster a whole bunch of years ago:smile:.

there's a few more to check out, one is a clean stock 2003 rubicon new tires with 63000 miles guys asking 15.5k b/o. I really don't need the extra stuff, although the winch is good insurance. 2007 Toyota fj's are in the same ballpark as is the trachoma so it will depend where I find the best deal and what feels the best in the end. Main thing is I don't want to be denied trying to navigate " Rucky chuckey" and a few other claims with roads like that I can't get to now.

i'm kind of surprised the guy didn't go for my offer of 19k, I think it was more than fair, but I'm pretty sure the money will be good someplace else and I can make the excitement last a little longer of hoping I'm hunting for a good buy instead of winding up with something different:sad:.

my explorer makes it down to rucky chucky.

low coolant is a problem, hes got a leak. 

I prefer to buy stock vehicles and modify them myself to suit my uses. one thing about the fj , poor visibility.  tacos are ok, weak factory suspension, 4 cyl. engines have some problems with head bolts pulling out of the block.  jeeps are ok for short trips, if its a soft top, forget conversation while on the road. :smile:

• Like 3

I would seriously consider a 2007-2010 Tacoma TRD 4x4 LB over a jeep with the money your talking about spending. You can have the best of both worlds, on road and offroad, 19-20 mpg freeway and towing my 17 ft travel trailer 13.5-14 mpg, I have a mild lift on mine mainly for more stability when towing our 17 ft travel trailer on curvy mountain roads, Rancho Quicklift with RS9000 adj shocks set to 7, stock tires size but 8 ply with 3 ply carcass, bfg TA/KO's,  you will have far less down time or fixit stuff, mainly just routine mantainence with a Tacoma or 4Runner, and 300K is not unusual. Rear springs on these can cause problems but I added Supersprings right after buying the truck and its been very versitile and tows well, yet rides good unloaded.

• Like 2

Taco is definitely worth consideration if you can't find a Jeep. I've never had anything break (that I didn't break myself) after 110,000 miles of hard offroad, towing, and prospecting miles. It can tow ok too, I towed a 24ft camper for 5 years from WY to CO to NV to AZ, right at the 6500lb weight limit with my prospecting gear. It struggled going over mountain passes, but did the job. The rear suspension is a bit weak but the dealer upgraded it for free, still for big payloads airbags would be useful. 2.5" levelling kit and 10 ply BFGs are necessary upgrades but drop MPG to 17 highway. I got 7-9mpg towing the trailer!

Good luck with whatever you get, they are all good prospecting rigs.

• Like 1

1515art; I think you where smart to walk on that one. The newer Jeeps are nice (compared to my old CJ5) but everyone around here seems to have premature failures with alternators, water pumps, brakes,power steering pumps-------

I leave the key in mine if you need to barrow it.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, klunker said:

1515art; I think you where smart to walk on that one. The newer Jeeps are nice (compared to my old CJ5) but everyone around here seems to have premature failures with alternators, water pumps, brakes,power steering pumps-------

I leave the key in mine if you need to barrow it.

Thought about leaving the key in mine after ditching it in a parking lot when the guide pulley for the serpentine belt fell off but the thieves wouldn't have gotten far enough away with it before frying the engine. 

Dont  know how this always works this way, 6 months ago craigslist was loaded with good deals now things are a little thin. I just missed the 2003 rubi that had 63k miles ang no lift it sold for 15k in just a few days, this at least gives me some info on actual sales, the prices are high, but not that much seems to be moving

you guys are making me think hard about the taco, made a offer of 29k on a 2012 trd off road double cab 5 ft bed, didn't really like the black color. Dealer was firm at 31k so, I figure I can look back at that anytime, that price was just fair not special enough to make me jump on it right away.

another guy has a 2006 rubi very clean 155000k towing behind a motor home, completely fresh build not broken on a trail yet asking 22.5k but should need nothing and all the build stuff is tops, so may at least give it a drive.

I don't know if this is still how things work for buying vehicles but it might be worth looking into both for new or used vehicles - in 2009 I got mine for $24,500 brand new with all the options I wanted, in the color I wanted by dealing only with the dealers who had online sales departments in a 5 state area, then I pitted each department against each other until they started dropping off 1 by 1 saying they couldn't go any lower, until finally I had the lowest offer. Did it all over the email at home and then finally by phone.

It was conveniently in Prescott, AZ where I was wanting to go anyways, so it worked pretty well. The lowest price I could get from the Wyoming dealers at the time was $28,500 so it saved me $4,000.

The online sales departments were always about $1000 cheaper than their real life counterparts at the very same dealer too even before I started haggling, not sure why.

At the time it was kinda new doing the "internet only" sales for such a large purchase though and it seemed like the dealers were fighting for business, not sure if it's still like that or not? 

• Like 3

I've got an 07' JK unlimited (4 door). Awesome vehicle!  Tom said " too much". That's like having too much money! Just not possible!! Price sounds reasonable. They are a go anywhere prospecting machine!

Dean

• Like 1