Thank you for your kind welcome, Steve. I enjoy reading your posts and have learnt a lot from them.I have been following with interest reports on the SDC2300 on this and other forums and get the impression that it would eclipse the ATX in its ability to detect small gold. It would be interesting to try out an SDC in areas that I have previously worked with the other two machines.

The ATX is a very good detector. I do believe the SDC will hit smaller gold than the already very small gold the ATX will detect. How much difference that makes for weight in the vial however is extremely hard to say. Having both, I do prefer to grab the SDC to hunt gold but at the same time if all I had was the ATX would do well with it also. The SDC just makes it easier.

Steve

Have you tested the 8 inch coil of the  ATX on very small gold that the SDC can detect ? The small coil in the center of 12 inch coil of the ATX may be hot but is 8 to 8 the same ? If the 8 inch of the ATX is also hot on small gold then I wouldn't want to be swinging the big coil all day. Now just in case it's not then I'll need to save more for what's better and that would be the SDC.

I do like the size of the 8 inch coil. Being it will give you a fair range of detecting.

Chuck Anders 

I had Chris find a nugget with the SDC. I had my ATX with 8" coil along. I do lots of stuff that never sees the internet directly, but which forms the basis for the opinions I offer. The ATX with 8" mono coil at sensitivity 13 would not pick up the tiny nugget Chris found with the SDC when the nugget was excavated, on the surface, and edge of ATX 8" mono coil rubbed directly on the nugget.

Now maybe the center 5" portion of the 10" x 12" ATX DD coil would have done better. But 8" coil to 8" coil the SDC has the edge. But we are talking really tiny, like a half grain (grain not gram) flake of gold.

Seriously, this gets to be like comparing a White's GMT to a Fisher Gold Bug 2. Both will find tiny gold, but if I have to give a nod to one over the other, in my opinion the Gold Bug 2 has a slight edge on the tiny stuff. That opinion based on actual head to head tests. I will never offer an opinion on something unless I have seen it with my own eyes. So at this point I have to say the SDC has the edge for the tiny stuff compared to the ATX.

Larger stuff though - my in house jury is still out on that one. Stock coil to stock coil I am curious about more than 8" coil to 8" coil. Ah well, too many questions, too little time!

• Like 1

Steve

Thanks for the info and your opinion. It's only so many hours in a day you have . So should one spend it testing to  answer questions are nugget hunting. Well the nugget hunting won out but answer some questions if can.

Thanks again Steve.

Chuck Anders.