On 7/11/2014 at 11:32 PM, Jonathan Porter said:

The SDC runs extremely quiet in regards to mineralization, due to this the higher sensitivity settings sound to the ear like they have more instability (variation in threshold), however this is not quite the case as the instability is also partly due to the almost compete lack of ground signal response. I find the variation in the threshold takes about an hour to accustom your ear to on the higher sensitivity settings of the SDC, however it is still quite workable because it is consistent therefore easy to ignore. In the lower sensitivity settings the SDC still has excellent performance and is of course much quieter due to the lower Gain.

JP

The instability of the SDC's threshold was the first thing I noticed when I first viewed your video clip using the SDC, then in following video clips by other operators. As you say your ear does get accustom to it although I imagine a very faint signal response could be missed within this instability.

In your interview with a ML technician on your DVD he mention 3 types of detector noise, that being EMI (from the electrical environment around us), Ground Noise (when sweeping the coil over the ground), and Detector Noise (from within the detector's electronics which can make the detector itself inherently noisy).

Since you say it has almost a complete lack of ground signal response then out of those 3 types of detector noise that leaves the threshold instability could be more to do with it being inherently noisy or maybe it has more to do with it being so extremely sensitive its electronics are more prone to EMI.

Not having had an opportunity to operate the SDC I am only going on what I have viewed and listen too from the video clips of the SDC on YouTube and the like.  

• 2 weeks later...

Another good comparison of the Garrett ATX and Minelab SDC 2300 https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=85497#p85497

I have to say after over a month now with both detectors nothing has changed in my opinion of both detectors. I would rather grab the SDC 2300 for prospecting and the ATX for beach detecting.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

"Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:42 AM

Actually it is a bit early as I need more time to use both the ATX and SDC together the next two months in order to give a more comprehensive and definitive reply."

Well, I had that couple months. Does the SDC blow the ATX away? No, not really. The ATX is a capable machine and in proficient hands gives the SDC a run for the money. The ATX delivers the bang for the buck.

But the bottom line remains that with both sitting in front of me, and a day of nugget hunting ahead of me, I want to grab the SDC. The ATX makes me work harder. To keep up with the SDC the ATX needs to be run maxed out at sensitivity 13, and at that level the coil is sensitive to being knocked about. This forces the operator to exercise an extreme control over the coil, basically trying to stay within 1mm of the ground while not actually touching it. The SDC is very resistant to coil falsing and so the operator can scrub the ground. Add in that the SDC is over a pound lighter and it boils down to the SDC being easier to use, less work and wear on the operator. I also like that although the ATX folds up nicely the SDC goes to the next level in compact design.

The ATX can be had for a far lower cost and features interchangeable coils. While the SDC has the edge for small gold the ATX has the edge for larger gold due to the larger coil size. The ATX also has a fairly decent iron disc ability for a PI, something the SDC lacks entirely. If water detecting is the goal I have more faith in the waterproof integrity of the ATX based on two weeks of hard use in the Hawaiian surf. I think on features offered and pricing a very strong case can be made for both detectors. If I simply could not afford the SDC I could prospect with the ATX and be satisfied. Yet the fact remains, owning both, the SDC is what I will grab next time I head out prospecting. The ATX is going to serve me more as a beach detector than prospecting detector going forward.

I have to sum up by applauding both Garrett and Minelab for a job well done with both these detectors. I really like both units and I am happy to see some real advances made in what constitutes a metal detector. Box on a stick ruled for far too long and out of box thinking is what we need from the manufacturers. Good work guys and gals!

More information on Garrett ATX

More information on Minelab SDC 2300

Hi Steve, this stonker nugget was found with the SDC yesterday at approx 14+ inches. Total weight is 65 grams. If a decent sized nugget is laying there for the taking the SDC will happily let you know about it.

JP

post-9-0-56407300-1408400200_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Steve, this stonker nugget was found with the SDC yesterday at approx 14+ inches. Total weight is 65 grams. If a decent sized nugget is laying there for the taking the SDC will happily let you know about it.

JP

That is one nice nugget, Jonathan, do you know if the nugget at 14" gave a good signal before the digging began or was it just barely a signal?

I read on a Aussie forum about the SDC's "sample delay" as shown in the SDC MPF graph and therefore it is able to sample way way earlier than GPX and the reason it can detect nuggets under a gram way better and I expect deeper.

However JP's 65 gram nugget at a depth of 14 + inches ( maybe even deeper) then "sample delay" might not have too much to do with its abilities.

Makes me now wonder what the SDC would be capable of with a larger coil?   

Great find JP! So much for Chris' SDC large nugget record. I've been saying all along the SDC is perfectly capable in the big nugget department. All the emphasis on tiny gold has given people a bit of a wrong impression, as if all it can find is small stuff, and that clearly is not the case. That is why for areas where bedrock is a foot or less I feel pretty confident using the SDC instead of my GPX.

Thanks for sharing. And yes, you may point out it took me two months to find what you just found in one chunk!

Very Nice, Jonathan!

A new detector that "sees" the ground differently can find what others missed. Also, when ever someone tries a new toy they tend to hunt a little different than the one they are accustomed to...

The 5000/2300 combo is certainly a winner for those that have the need and the money...way to go Minelab!

fred

Hi all, I am from Tasmania, Australia and new to this forum.I have a ML GPX 5000 and a Garrett ATX and despite the challenges of steep terrain, sometimes impenetrable vegetation and highly variable weather conditions, have managed to find a little gold with both of them. Recent finds include: 23 nuggets total weight 10gms ranging from 0.5gms to 2.6gms with the ATX and 4 nuggets total weight 7.0gms ranging from 0.15gms to 5.5gms with the GPX.

I had my GPX5000 for some months before I found my first gold with it and the ATX three weeks due to it being more user friendly in tight conditions.

Hope to post some photos soon as I figure out how to upload them.

Cheers, Fox