Difference Between Two Nugget Finder Coils?

Andrey

It is the same coil. Coils with a solid housing get caught less on sticks and rocks. Coils with holes (open spoke or "spider" coils) are a little bit lighter. Same coil, different housing design.

Open spoke coils often offer a closed skid plate design as an option giving you the best of both worlds, though the depressions on top often collect sticks, grass, and other small debris.

Both great coils. Maybe just coincidence, but when I've used the spoked version it seemed slightly less affected by EMI? Maybe a difference in the way the coil needs to be shielded - not sure. Pinged this 0.3 prickly piece with the 15" solid at depth after I had gone over with the 12" Evo and 14x9" evo, that really impressed me. 

0.3g 15 solid.jpg

• Like 4

andrey- should ask nenad difference 'tween spoked 14" advantange 3spoke Round vs. new NF EVO of similar size 14-15" on the performance diff if any....andrey if your new and been watchin yutube vids anything older than a year then what coil your seeing bag the Nuggets is a  3 spoke 14" advantage. OK I'll ask for ya! Nenad all your vids are Superb! Have you had a chance to compare new evo to old advantage Head to head? thanks //////// cheers from goldfields of central Idaho USA

Yes did that straight away. 17x13 Evo vs 17x11 Advantage, the Evo had a lot more sensitivity, and target signals much sharper. You could even drop the Rx Gain (on a 5000) by 3-4 numbers, and still benefit, and you know what happens when you drop your Gain 3-4 numbers, you reduce EMI by a lot. I've also compared 15" Evo vs 16" NFA, and the difference is quite staggering in favour of the Evo. 

The Advantage is still probably the better choice for pre-GPX units, as they don't have any of the "smooth" timings, but I can imagine in mild enough soils, a 14x9" Evo strapped to a GP would do some serious damage :cool:

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Side note on spoked/solid - the 19" spoked Evo weighs the same as the unspoked 17x13. Almost enough motivation for me to make a trip west and re detect patches with that 19.

Almost. :biggrin:

There is remarkably little testing or really any videos on that coil for some reason. I wonder if it's not available in the US?

• Like 1

On 10/1/2016 at 1:30 AM, PhaseTech said:

Yes did that straight away. 17x13 Evo vs 17x11 Advantage, the Evo had a lot more sensitivity, and target signals much sharper. You could even drop the Rx Gain (on a 5000) by 3-4 numbers, and still benefit, and you know what happens when you drop your Gain 3-4 numbers, you reduce EMI by a lot. I've also compared 15" Evo vs 16" NFA, and the difference is quite staggering in favour of the Evo. 

The Advantage is still probably the better choice for pre-GPX units, as they don't have any of the "smooth" timings, but I can imagine in mild enough soils, a 14x9" Evo strapped to a GP would do some serious damage :cool:

So is it generally accepted that the Evo coils improve the gpz series but not so much on the gp series unless it is really mild soil?  I was contemplating a 9x14 for my 3000...Would it be noisier than my 12" NFA RM.

On 3/5/2017 at 0:08 PM, Shasta gold hunter said:

So is it generally accepted that the Evo coils improve the gpz series but not so much on the gp series unless it is really mild soil?  I was contemplating a 9x14 for my 3000...Would it be noisier than my 12" NFA RM.

The beauty of the GPX's is that you have timing options. In an air test a 14x9" Evo vs a 12" NFA on a 3000, testing sub gram nuggets, the Evo would prove superior. But, add some mineralised soil into the mix and it's anyone's guess what could happen. As mineralisation levels increase, you'd eventually reach a point where the 12" Advantage would be the better choice, as you don't have any "smooth" timings on the 3000. 

• Like 1