Threshold Dead On Gold Racer

So I was out today for a couple of hours detecting, haven't even used the first set of batteries yet since I received my detector. After a couple hours the threshold all the sudden stopped working. Replace the batteries and still nothing. Sounds off on some targets but no threshold. Makes a crackling sound when I turn the detector off.... anyone know what the heck's going on with this thing?

When I troubleshoot a detector I look mainly at two things. Put new batteries in it and try with a different coil. If it is not batteries or coil it is control box, and time to contact the dealer who you got it from. A good dealer will run interference for you. Or if they are the other kind of dealer they will tell you not their problem, and that you should contact the distributor/manufacturer.

Sorry to hear about the problem and I hope it gets resolved for you quickly.

Unfortunately Steve I don't have another coil to test. It detects fine on metals just no threshold hum. The dealer I bought it from on ebay told me to contact the manufacturer as he does not accept returns, but would help any way he could with warranty.

It is probably not the coil but if possible it is always something to try as coils fail far more than control boxes. These new detectors also sense the coils and that adds another thing to the equation that can go wrong as regards coils.

She will probably see this thread but it is always worth contacting Dilek Gonulay directly at dilek@noktadetectors.com (Makro and Nokta are sister companies so she works for both).

Call the folks at "metaldetector.com".  Ask for Bill Ladd, he has helped me twice with Makro problems.  One being the Gold Racer.  He/They get problems corrected pretty quickly.  It's possible they will be familiar with your problem and get it corrected even faster.

They are the USA distributor for Makro and the repair center for the USA.  Good luck.

• Like 3