GPZ 7000 Gold Finds

Don't fret kiwi,  She wasn't using it and I still have the Whites GMT.  It is a bit more her size anyway.  Thanks for the nice comments!

On 10/9/2016 at 0:11 PM, TAZMAN1972 said:

What I would really like is if I could just accentuate the high ridges of gold that stand out in front of the dark like tiger stripes.  Is Wink like CLR but a bit stronger?  I never heard, does everyone think that it is ironstone covering it?  There is just a little bit of iron stained quarts on it too.

I also realized I put the weight wrong on it.  It is actually 0.69 ounce.  The next smaller one with the quartz is the half ouncer.

15 hours ago, AuWanderer said:

Tazman,

Wink has 1 %  Hydrofluoric acid  and works better than CLR...it will clean it up good.Just use precaution......

Here's what the product "Wink Rust Stain Remover" looks like because there are other "Wink" products and you need to get the exact product shown below for the desired results, the other "Wink" products will not do the job and also a link to the product's webpage, wear rubber gloves and don't get it on your skin, eyes, etc., also use a plastic container, Hydrofluoric acid will at least etch glass and after prolong contact it will eat glass, also at the link click on the "SDS" link below the product discription for the Safety Data Sheet, for safety precautions, first aid, etc., it states that it contains 1.5% to 3% Hydrofluoric acid, I have gotten it on my skin once before knowing any better but did know to wash the area well by reading the label before using it and I had no ill affects.

I'm also including a few links on 100% Hydrofluoric acid and what it can do to you, not good at all!!

I not trying to scare you with these other links I just want you to know more about the active ingredient in Wink Rust Stain Remover and how dangerous Hydrofluoric acid is when used in it's purer form which some of us do use to clean some gold specimens but with much greater precautions, Wink is relatively safe using the recommended safety precautions and first aid on the label or they wouldn't be selling it to housewifes to clean rust stains or at all to the general public for that matter.

https://www.whink.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cEcommerce.Product&ProductID=4328

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ershdb/EmergencyResponseCard_29750030.html

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/773304-overview

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrofluoric_acid

Rust Stain Remover

• Like 2

I will try it on some smaller nuggets that have rust and caliche before i even think about trying it on the big one.  I will post some before and after pics of the smaller nuggets (Really just large flakes).  This may take me a few weeks. 

On 9/30/2016 at 7:20 PM, Tortuga said:

Leave it natural. Nice gold. What settings are you using?

Tortuga, I didn't see that you asked about my settings.  I run it wide open.  High Yield x Normal x Sensitivity @ 20 x Volume at 7 with stock headphones or 14 with speaker x Audio Smoothing OFF x Threshold 23 x Ground balance Auto.  I used to run in manual but I can't seem to find fault with auto so there you go!  When it gets too noisy, on occasion, i put it on Difficult but I don't touch anything else.  It is really like swinging my GMT with all the blips beeps and whining but the real targets seem to scream out.  I have not actually found any new spots since getting the 7000.  I have just been going back to the places I have been getting gold for the last 4-5 years, that had gotten hard to find gold at, and they seem to produce almost like new.  It may sound backwards but I figure once things slow down again I will try the opposite approach and try running quiet.  I have actually been switching to difficult when I swing over a target that is deep (doesn't sound at the edge of the coil).  There has been more than one target that was so faint I am not sure I would have recognized it the first time if I had been running in difficult.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TAZMAN1972 said:

Tortuga, I didn't see that you asked about my settings.  I run it wide open.  High Yield x Normal x Sensitivity @ 20 x Volume at 7 with stock headphones or 14 with speaker x Audio Smoothing OFF x Threshold 23 x Ground balance Auto.  I used to run in manual but I can't seem to find fault with auto so there you go!  When it gets too noisy, on occasion, i put it on Difficult but I don't touch anything else.  It is really like swinging my GMT with all the blips beeps and whining but the real targets seem to scream out.  I have not actually found any new spots since getting the 7000.  I have just been going back to the places I have been getting gold for the last 4-5 years, that had gotten hard to find gold at, and they seem to produce almost like new.  It may sound backwards but I figure once things slow down again I will try the opposite approach and try running quiet.  I have actually been switching to difficult when I swing over a target that is deep (doesn't sound at the edge of the coil).  There has been more than one target that was so faint I am not sure I would have recognized it the first time if I had been running in difficult.

Thanks for the response. I've been running the same except Sensitivity at 15. Maybe I should just crank it up to 20. 

Also, if things get a little noisy try switching from High Yield to General, instead of Normal to Difficult. In my experience Difficult is such a drop from Normal, I literally lose inches of depth with that setting. I've done a little testing between the two and Difficult wouldn't even give me a response on this fat old rusty nail that was about a foot down in some thick clay that I'd initially hit on in Normal. Was quite surprising actually. 

• Like 3

On 10/16/2016 at 5:08 AM, strick said:

Love that picture... Thanks for the new desk top background!

strick

Thanks Strick!

I went and bought the Whink.  I took a before and after pic of some smaller "ugly" nuggets that I always wanted to clean up better.  I know, I know, no such think as ugly gold but it is all relative right?  Anyway see the before and after pics.  You may notice one of them is missing between the two pics, I always thought it was gold but it was lead. I am really happy with how it turned out.   I am thinking of putting the big one in the Whink for a little bit and see how it goes.  I will do before and after pics again.

pic 1.JPG

pic 2.JPG