What Pinpointer Do You Use?

Hey usaflaginmaine,

I have always used a Garrett Pinpointer, I have found them very reliable at finding gold, and when coinshooting...

Dave.

GARRETT_PROPOINTER_AT_1.jpg

• Like 1

I use a White's TRX and it works good for me. This is the first for me and I kick myself for not buying one sooner.

The next one if and when will be waterproof to go with my waterproof MX Sport.

Chuck 

• Like 1

Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites BullsEye11,also the SunRay inline probe on the DFX,but that is a unique probe for that machine.

• Like 1

I've got the TRX and like it for the most part and it plays ok around the 7000. The trx depth is good and the probe point is directional being more sensitive at the very tip than the sides. If I was to choose a different pin pointer I would pick the Garrett carrot, based on user reviews and overal popularity, I think they are both good choices.

• Like 1

garrett carrot for me.:smile:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

I use a White's TRX and it works good for me. This is the first for me and I kick myself for not buying one sooner.

The next one if and when will be waterproof to go with my waterproof MX Sport.

Chuck 

The TRX is meant to be waterproof, rated to IP68 the same as the Garrett Carrot.  Personally I use both, though prefer the audio, brighter LED, simple to navigate settings and larger speaker holes on the carrot (easier to clean the mud out of).  The biggest disappointment on the TRX was the very dim LED and low audio levels, requiring the removal of headphones just to hear it. Making things worse, the small speaker holes are prone to clogging, and can be a pain to clean out.

A couple of the features I do like on the TRX include the dual usage of 9v and AA batteries, and replaceable outer shell (on my second one).

Being able to detect along the full length of the Garrett's shaft can be a blessing for some or a curse for others, especially if you have multiple targets in the same hole, or in the sidewall of the hole.  The TRX will actually pick up targets on the upper end of the shaft, probably not an intended function, though it can catch you out at times if you have a targets on both the top/bottom of the hole. 

If I had to chose again between the two, the Garrett would be my choice.  Pretty hard to fault it after 6 months of mud, water and abuse, just a more well rounded product.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Goldpick said:

Being able to detect along the full length of the Garrett's shaft can be a blessing for some or a curse for others, especially if you have multiple targets in the same hole, or in the sidewall of the hole.

I also have a Garrett Carrot (ProPointer AT) and wonder how any coin hunter used to get along without a hand-held pinpointer.  I'm pretty sure (from what I've read and also from experience) that the sensitive part of the shaft is about 1/2 inch (~1 cm) up from the tip. In fact it's said to be even more sensitive than the tip!  When I get a signal I lay the GC on its side and hunt around the ground with the side of the shaft, assuming 1/2 inch up is the sweetspot, to find the maximum response (if the item is close enough to the surface to give a response).

One nice feature of the GC that it took me a long time to realize is that you can desensitize by just keying the switch.  I run mine on gain=3 (the highest) and desensitize as I get closer to the target when digging.  I agree that when in a hole it's not always easy to know if its the tip or the side that is picking up the target, but by desensitizing I can almost always distinguish which.  And sometimes with a really large target (not a coin) I have to change the gain to 1 and then desensitize.  But that's pretty rare. 

Also agree that multiple targets in a hole can lead to confusion, which is one more reason why I (and everyone else that I've read or learned from) assumes that pulling one item out of a hole doesn't mean you're done.  Here, though, I use the main detector for a second sweep because often the remaining target (picked up by the pinpointer) is a junk target, and I need the discrimination of the main detector to tell me that.  On a lucky day it's the junk I pulled out first and now the desirable object gives a much cleaner signal and VID to finish up on.  Found a 1920 Merc after digging a nearby nail out of the ground last week.

I've never had another pinpointer so can't compare or contrast.  I just know I'd be lost without mine.

• Like 1