Crater Of Diamonds Lovestones

Fred:

You missed it.  On October 3rd a 2.03 carat white diamond was found at the park!

http://www.craterofdiamondsstatepark.com/media/news-releases.aspx?id=2637

You didn't get the big one. (Neither did I.)

Mitchel

Art, they are known for yellow diamonds. The diamonds in the crater do not terminate in sharp facets, they are more rounded but still have the eight sides. They were almost reabsorbed on their way to the surface and are considered harder than other diamonds.

I too have made the pilgrimage and plan on going back until I find one.

The only color that has not been found at the Crater is RED...most are yellow or brown...the size can be from micro to 40 carets...

If you go for a day or two pray for them to plow the field and a deluge just after...getting them with sifting and panning requires real work.

The people I talked to considered 1 diamond for 15 to 50 five-gallon buckets of classified dirt a very good ratio.

fred

On 10/6/2016 at 1:30 PM, Reno Chris said:

...kimberlite pipes.

Chris -- Crater Of Diamonds is a lamproitic pipe.. I don't know the comparisons / contrasts with kimberlite.. Would this explain the unexpected stones you see..?

Swamp

• Like 1

WTG, Chris Ralph; you called it...while I was showing a jeweler some meteorites and nuggets I also showed him my lovestone. After having his gemologist look and test they declared it some type of quartz...so, good on you.

Still, it was fun hoping against hope that my little rock was more than it is...................

fred

On 10/6/2016 at 11:34 AM, fredmason said:

...the trough is one of the panning stations...

fred

That's a really great photo of the pump and trough, Fred.. Most casual visitors don't even know it exists since it's alll the way down over the hill, nearly off park property and can't be seen from anywhere else in the park.. It's also located in the field's only remaining naturally shady area..

Swamp

• Like 1