Gold Dredging Questions, Gravel And Bedrock

I met a new buddy and he is getting some nice gold pickers and multi ounce copper nuggets at a spot where I have permission but was told by others that it is all worked out?  He is using a 4 inch dredge with a hookah air system and going down about 6 foot, whereas best I can do is long arming or hibanking

He told me the gold is there no matter how hard he and others pound it. It is a bedrock bottom creek, flat and smooth, with FAST water, 1-4 feet deep.

One gravel island maybe 100 x 50 feet, 2- 50 foot long gravel bars. Its on a large curving bend. There is no gold on the slick bedrock. No place for it to catch people tell me.

Am wondering why these gravel areas stay put even after heavy floods ( a giant size deep pothole holding the gravels in place? ) and why is this glacial gold being replenished? From upstream gravels perhaps, gold scooting down under the gravels and along the slick bedrock during floods  is my guess anyway.

Wonder if it would work to dig a pit waist deep into the gravels and hibank ? Does using a steel tined rake to rake away the cobbles make sense too?

And them copper nuggets I could easily detect the bigger ones a foot down.

-Tom